Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Throat Pain- feels dry and itchy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 faith

faith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:57 PM

Hi everyone, I have been reading all your posts and going back to my husband and tell him about you guys...he knows some of you very well now, but still he doesn't want to join. I feel if he joins, and read this forum, he is going to feel much much better.

It has been six month now, and he is on Gleevec, this is the second month he is on Gleevec, there is no internal involvement yet. He is doing better emotionally, at time passes, we are learning how to live with this disease and how to make it part of us.

However, one thing my husband can't handle is his throat, it is so dry, itchy and burning, he says it smells not good too. He is using a throat mist, and drinking herbal tea, but it is not working too. He spits a lot, and sometimes he feels as if he is going to choke if he swallows his saliva. Anyone has this problem, any one can help with a remedy, a home remedy, or a prescriptopn thery are using.

Take care for now,

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

Hi Faith,

I'm glad your husband is doing well with the Gleevec trial. However, his throat problems are something he needs to be reporting to his doctor. It could be a side effect of medications, another symptom of scleroderma (reflux or difficulty swallowing), or even an allergic reaction to the throat mist or herbal tea or other things.

Also given scleroderma, he should only take herbs or over the counter preparations with his doctor's knowledge and advice.

In any event, he really needs to see the doctor. Can you see what you can do to speed that along -- and make sure you bring a list (or even bottles/containers) of all his herbs, vitamins, teas, etc. so his doctor can review them in light of his other medications? Some of them are very bad for scleroderma and others can interact poorly with medications.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:56 AM

It sounds to me like he may also have Sjogren's. I have it and it creates a dry mouth and dry eyes so I don't know if a dry throat would maybe be a part of that. I know alot of people who have sclero also have Sjogren's. I take a medication which helps with the dryness and I also use a special mouthwash that my doctor prescribed. I also use Biotene toothpaste that helps with the dryness.

Have him to talk to his sclero doctor and see if maybe that's what it is. If it is then get him on the meds to help combat it. If it's not from that at least the doctor can try and figure it out and get him some help as it sounds really unpleasant to have to deal with.

I hope you will be able to talk him to joining the board. I know he will find lots of support and help. Everyone here is so great that I don't know what I'd do without being able to come to this site for information and help.

Warm hugs,

Peggy

#4 smac0719

smac0719

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

I have a dry mouth and often experience mild throat pain and dryness. I now keep throat lozengers in my purse to help with it and always keep something to drink around. I have not been diagnosed with Sjogrens so I'm not sure if it's all related or not. I hope your husband finds some relief soon.
I may have Scleroderma, but Scleroderma doesn't have me!