Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Gout Arthritis

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bird Lady

Bird Lady

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

I don't like to constantly complain but the ball of my right foot near my big toe hurts and burns if I put any pressure on it. It's like you're holding a lighted match to it. I found something online called gout arthritis and it seems to fit my symptoms. Has anyone ever heard of this? Could this be a part of sclero? It's no big deal in the whole scheme of things but it still hurts. Birdman
Hugs for All,

Julie (Bird Lady)

#2 Sherion

Sherion

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:26 PM

Birdman, I have no personal knowledge but I have read that gout IS a form of arthritis. I don't know if it is a symptom of sclero but nothing would surprise me anymore.

Sherion

#3 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:53 PM

Hi Birdman,

Every new symptom needs to be individually evaluated by your doctor, of course. This would be a new one...and if it is gout (or something else) it is probably very treatable, but dangerous to just ignore.

I'd say odds are fairly good that it is something you have in addition to scleroderma...so, please, hie thee to a doctor! Your general practitioner is probably good enough for starters, what matters is that you are seen before it has much chance to worsen.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#4 Sam

Sam

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:59 PM

I dont think Gout is related to sclero but I have heard of gout its from eating too much red meat can be the cause but like Shelley said you need to see a doctor about it.. take care and keep us updated. Sam
Sam

#5 annkd

annkd

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:03 AM

Hi Birdman - Is it possible that it could be plantars fasciitis? That is something I've heard is associated with scleroderma. I suffer from it. Just a thought? - Ann

#6 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:08 AM

Could it be a stress fracture? I would definitely get it checked out.
Nan

#7 CraigR

CraigR

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

Get it checked. If you suspect gout, be sure to get a serum uric acid test. My understanding (though I'm not a doctor) is that gout has to do with your body having to high a level of uric acid which can form painful crystals in joints. This can be effected by what you eat - foods of high "purine" content are not good (often high in red meat, thus the reputation of gout effecting the well fed and wealthy, such as Henry VIII). Some of my grandparents had it. There are good treatments available.

Craig

#8 truman

truman

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:08 PM

I heard that gout usually affects the toes, but I recall a co worker whose son had gout and it also affected the heel of his foot. My rheumatologist had me on Colchicine with is a gout/arthritis medicine, but she had me on for the calcification deposits.
Tru

It is what it is...........

#9 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:41 PM

Birdman, have you seen the doctor about your foot yet?
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#10 Bird Lady

Bird Lady

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:17 AM

Hi Shelley, We emailed my doctor last night with my symptoms and should hear back today. I'll let you know what he says. Thanks to everyone for your responses. Birdman
Hugs for All,

Julie (Bird Lady)

#11 luvbnmom3

luvbnmom3

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:34 AM

What'd the doctor have to say birdman? I hope you get it resolved soon! I have had the same kind of pain on both feet, but it is probably something entirely different, it has come & gone a few times. My podiatrist, about a year ago, said I had something growing in there...I don't recall if he said a corn or not... I just know there is such a thing as a corn...lol. Anyways, walking seems to irratate it but the moon has to be right or something too because there never seems to be any rhyme or reason to why sometimes it is there & sometimes not...lol.

Anyways, let us know what the doctor says, hopefully you can be painfree there shortly!

#12 Bird Lady

Bird Lady

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:32 AM

Hi luvbnmom3, Haven't heard back from the doctor yet. It's very unusual not to hear back the same day so he must be out of town or something. The pain seems to come and go. It's a deep burning pain when it's hurting. I'll do a post when the doctor gets back to me. Thanks for the reply. Birdman
Hugs for All,

Julie (Bird Lady)