Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Oh my head!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 luvbnmom3

luvbnmom3

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:24 PM

Do any of you or have any of you experienced your scalp feeling burnt, like it would with chemicals from a hair product, as well as itching & what do you do for it?

My scalp started to itch about a month ago, lately it feels burnt & itchy, but my friend says it doesn't look red or irratated, but that it looks "tight". I don't know how a scalp looks tighter than it normally would though. I thought maybe it was sun-burned except that I have thick hair & I wasn't outside that long & nothing else got burned...not to mention I've been out in the sun for hours before that day I first felt the burn & didn't have that problem.

#2 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:27 PM

Hi luvb~

You know, from time to time my scalp feels really tender to touch, like my hair follicles are inflamed or something? Taking a shower, regardless of temperature, makes my scalp feel like it has a chemical burn.

Like I said, this comes and goes for me. I tell my kids, "Go easy on me today even my hair hurts" :lol:

I don't color treat or perm my hair and there is no flaking or itching so I have chalked it up to a sclero thing but haven't mentioned it to any doctors. since it is always a temporary thing for me.

#3 annkd

annkd

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:12 AM

Hi Luvb.- I, too, have this problem. It comes and goes. When it begins, I feel a very tight feeling in my upper face area - like a pulling sensation. Then it sort of creeps up to my scalp and burns and itches. It can go on for a few days and then it goes away. None of my doctors have a clue to what it could be. I just live with it. Sigh! -Ann

#4 Guest_Sadie_*

Guest_Sadie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:31 AM

luvb, I don't think I've ever had that. Boy, that sounds painful. I wonder if it would help you to use baby shampoo for awhile till it feels better again.

Sadie

#5 luvbnmom3

luvbnmom3

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:17 AM

Thanks ladies! You know, maybe switching to a really mild shampoo like you suggested may help incase there is some kind of irratation for whatever reason. I do notice that sometimes my upper face (eye level & up) feels like I'm wearing a pony tail that is too tight, but I can't recall if the 2 happen around the same time frame.

Anywho... no matter... it is all power for the course. It seems everytime I have to go to the doctor I have "bad news" or more or different symptoms... I have a check up with my neuro (for headacheless migraines) & I have to tell him my muscle weakness is worse in shoulders & that they tremor with movement now... but I don't even want to go there!

#6 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:31 AM

I have the same thing and it feels like your entire scalp has been sunburned. I never thought of trying a baby shampoo and will give that a try. I noticed lately that you could use my forehead as a flashlight at night it's so tight and shiny.............

Warm hugs,

Peggy

#7 RememberingToSmile

RememberingToSmile

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:05 AM

I don't have any issues with my scalp at all - it sounds horrible.

I was at a myositis meeting yesterday and several people with dermatomyositis brought this up as a major problem.

They talked about several products they were trying, and how to get the prescription written so that it could be used on the entire scalp, and not just spot treatment. Sorry I don't remember the products, though. One of the members has a lot of success after seeing a new dermatologist at George Washington Univ. (recommended by her rheumatologist) You might consider posting the question or checking the archives on the myositis association discussion board for suggestions (?) Just a thought.

The rheumatologist who was in the room said she prefers to try systemic medications first...

Good Luck,
RTS

#8 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:25 PM

I also have tenderness on the top of my scalp, I thought it was due to me having thick long hair which could be pulling.

Best wishes to you all
Celia

#9 kellyA

kellyA

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:09 AM

Yes, I have the same thing, I do color my hair and sometimes the color burns not bad enough that I ask the hairdresser to take it off-LOL and I do have some flaking, I thought it was dandruff, but my hair hurts to touch

It must be a sclero thing...I will ask my dr. at the next visit.

KellyA

#10 Gidget

Gidget

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:02 AM

Yes, I ge the itching burning scalp which means I need to use a really good shampoo and conditioner for "dry scalp". I buy the expensive brand which runs me $8 per 10 oz tube but it does work as my scalp feels relief when I put the conditioner on. REgards, Gidget

#11 luvbnmom3

luvbnmom3

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:18 AM

Huh....that is interesting about the Dermatomyositis & the scalp... I have not received a diagnosis of Sclero, my doctor says it is a possibility but that my ANA is negative (he is an internist & hasn't seen a sclero patient or heard about it in 17 or so years). He thinks my skin is getting tight because of Raynaud's...but I don't have Raynaud's on my face or legs or neck, etc. Anyways...Drematomyositis has never been brought up but I often wondered if that is what has been going on except that I don't know if tight skin goes with dermatomyositis.

Thanks a TON everyone for your imput... just hearing that yes, some of you & some that have Dermatomyositis have this issue confirms for me that it probably isn't some unrelated fluke thing going on & to go see my dermatologist.

I did see a Rheumatologist (who is in the office with one who is a member of the American college of Rheumatology) a couple years ago, he wrote "possible occult connective tissue disease" in the report & that I had some enlarged & irregular capillaries in my nailfolds, but when I went back to him last winter because my toes kept getting petechiae on them & I was smelling ammonia & the skin of my knuckles kept getting tight... he didn't have any answers for me so I am reluctant to go back.

#12 luvbnmom3

luvbnmom3

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:30 AM

Oh & thank you for mentioning that forum, it never occured to me to look into a forum for dermatomyositis. When you're going through something that is just so rare & your symptoms don't present classically (like my doctor says raynaud's just doesn't normally affect the thumbs & that it doesn't attack lungs either... I think the lungs thing is ignorance, but my thumbs are worse than my fingers with tissue pad loss & pain) Anyways, add to that that I love research & reading medical literature & am going to school... so I have a greater knowledge & understanding for some things so when I go to my doctor, he sometimes treats my like a hypocondriac because I suggest possiblities to him... the other day I asked him if it was possible that when I start smelling ammonia when I've been reading outloud for 10 minutes or so, that maybe there is something with my lungs that makes the gas exchange not as efficient as it should be... then he says, "Oh, so now you think you have obstructive lung disease from Scleroderma?" lol.

I said, "I didn't say that at all; YOU have no idea why I am smelling ammonia so I decided to do some reading & this is MERELY a suggestion of something to look into, you are the doctor & have a better understanding of that stuff, that is why I am asking YOU!"

Anyways, my point is just that going to a fuorum is a great place not only for support but for getting a better idea of what goes on from the patients perspective...I'm rambling, I know, & probably making no sense...lol