Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Blood Test Results

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Leslie R.

Leslie R.

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

Good night Everyone,

I have been distracting myself for the past few days, so that I will not think about my blood test results, I just received from my primary care physician. You see it all started last week when I went to my doctor's office for my check-up. I was due for my blood test, so I went to the lab this past Saturday to have my blood drawn and have a urine sample. Since there is no way you can find a vein to get my blood, because of the harden skin from the Scleroderma, and myself being cold in any office.

On Tuesday afternoon I got a call from my physician, and she told me that my blood test came back, the result is that my Tyroid levels is low and Kidney level is high. I have no clue what she really meant but I have to go back to her office, and do another blood test in her office this time. I wish this had gone the other way no news is good news but instead it ended up the other way. Hopefully the next test will be better, but for now I am going stay strong, and say this is just a step back.

Still Staying Strong,
Sincerely,
Leslie R

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

Hi Leslie,

I'm sorry you had some new abnormalities on your blood test. I know how upsetting that can be, especially before you've had a chance to discuss it with your doctor in detail.

I really try not to worry too much about any lab tests anymore. I comfort myself with the thought that I have frequently flunked tests but it hasn't killed me yet, and most of the abnormalities clear up sooner or later, or else they can be treated and if not that, then they can at least be ignored or lived with.

I don't know if it will help you or not, but I also repeat like a mantra that 20% of all lab tests are wrong and based on that alone, I could expect 2 out of 5 errors on any given test. In reality that might not be how it works out, but I find the thought of it comforting (blissfully assuming of course that the lab tests are in my favor).

There is just so much stress with chronic illness; even the stress of just wondering and waiting for test results can do us in, if we're not careful. Chances are, your body will have had a chance to recuperate from "whatever" before your next test, and even if things are still out of whack a little, it could all be quite treatable. But I dare say we all understand, a bit, what you are going through.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 Kamlesh

Kamlesh

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

Hi Leslie,

I agree with Shelley.

One test does not make a trend or can be considered conclusive.
One example, I can give you regarding my live enzyme. As I was on Cellcept, I was going through blood test every six weeks. One of my test showed my liver enzymes were four times the normal level and I was asked to stop Cellcept right away. That was best thing happened to me. My blood test after a week was normal. I was without Cellcept for a couple of months, and there was scleroderma flare up. So, you cannot rely on one test.

Take care!
Kind regards,

Kamlesh

#4 Leslie R.

Leslie R.

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

Hi Shelly and Kamlesh,

Thanks for the advice I will definately wait for the next test results and not rely on the first test. As you said that labs do sometimes make mistakes. But will keep you inform of what's going on.

Have a nice 4th July,

Sincerely,
Leslie R