Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Blood Pressure

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sharonvandee

Sharonvandee

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

I have never had high blood pressure in my life till this disease flared up on me. I was placed on Verapramil for heart palpitation and mild blood pressure, when it was checked the other day it was elevated again hence the reason the Dr was able to prescribe Norvasc for raynauds. So now I am on two high doses of blood pressure tablet but still have elevated blood pressure. Is this part of the condition , has any one else been in this situation.
Kindest Regards

Sharon

Diagnosis Scleroderma-crest, Scolliosis, Asthma, ILD, Plueral Fibrosis, GERD, Hiatus hernia, Anticardiolipin positive, ANA positive

a little bent and broken and almost beyond repair!

#2 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:55 PM

Hi Sharon,

My blood is usually on the low side, my Cardiologist prescribes me at times a beta blocker called Atenolol in the summer or Coralan now in Winter for palpatations and Tachycardia (high heart rate).

I do think that this is part of having Scleroderma for me though.

Take care
Celia

#3 luvbnmom3

luvbnmom3

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:14 AM

Mine is pretty much always on the low side, I do take Verapamil but a small dose & to help with migraines & maybe raynaud's... can't say it has helped the Raynaud's because it has gotten worse anyways, but maybe it would be even worse than that with out?

I haven't ever had high blood pressure either but I do get palpitations now & then. I'm glad the doctors caught yours & are treating it.

#4 truman

truman

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:15 AM

Sharon:

I've had HBP for many years, I mean really high :blink: . I've been prescribed Exforge (Norvasc withwater pill derivative) in addition to two water pills a day for it for the last month. Prior to that I had an additional HBP med twice a day and water pill med; total per day six pills per day for HBP.

It wasn't until I had to leave work, that my BP gradually came down. When I had that severe case of hives, they removed me from all HBP meds except the Exforge and two waters pills a day and now my BP remains stable at the normal range. :)
Tru

It is what it is...........

#5 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:20 AM

Hi Sharon,

I am no doctor but mine has told me to keep a close eye on my BP as HBP is a symptom of kidney involvement. Have your doctors ever mentioned this to you?

#6 MicheleM

MicheleM

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:30 AM

I too have HBP that is finally regulated after about 8 years. In the beginning it was Atenenol then various others and now I have found success with Bystolic a new drug to US, but been around for a long time in Europe (we seem to take forever sometimes to catch up in US!) Anyway, I have diastolic dysfunction of the heart which has not been determined to be specifically due to sclero, but along with the Pulmonary Artery issues I'm happy to find something that is working for me. I haven't had any regular signs of Reynaud's for a long while unless I go into the freezer, etc! But I was already there prior to the Bystolic med. So there's another drug for y'all to check out should you have the need :huh:
Soft hugs your way,

Michele

#7 CraigR

CraigR

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:38 AM

Good point by Barefut about kidney involvement.

My understanding (and I'm not a doctor) is that the kidneys have a way of signaling the heart to increase blood pressure. If the kidneys aren't getting enough blood (due to clogged arteries or some other malfunction), they tell the heart to increase pressure.

Increases in blood pressure can indicate changes in the kidneys, which is why scleroderma patients are often advised to check pressure frequently.

The standard blood pressure test only tests the pressure on the left side of the heart (the side that pumps to the body). The right side pumps to the lungs, and is more complicated to check (as those of us with the fairly common symptom of pulmonary hypertension can attest to).

My regular blood pressure tends to be on the low side - even though I have pulmonary hypertension.

One other issue is that many of the drugs that can help Raynaud's also tend to reduce blood pressure. Thus if your pressure is already a little low, your doctor may be hesitant to prescribe these drugs.

In summary, it can be a good idea to acquire one of those automatic test devices from the drug store, and keep track of any changes either way...

Craig

#8 Sharonvandee

Sharonvandee

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:18 AM

Barefut and Craig

My general practitioner has just done all my bloods and says they are not too bad, not sure if she checked kidney will ask next time I see her.

I am off to a clinic in two weeks to finally get checked out properly so will hopefully know more then.
Kindest Regards

Sharon

Diagnosis Scleroderma-crest, Scolliosis, Asthma, ILD, Plueral Fibrosis, GERD, Hiatus hernia, Anticardiolipin positive, ANA positive

a little bent and broken and almost beyond repair!

#9 Stacey

Stacey

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:44 PM

I also have High Blood Pressure. At first we thought it was caused because I was on Prednizone but my doctor put me on Lisinopril and my blood pressure dropped the very next day. He said that since the Lisinopril worked for me it is most likely caused by the Scleroderma. I also am on Norvasc and a small water pill. Now my blood pressure is at a healthy level.

Also one of my grandmothers who also suffers from Sclero has high blood pressure from the Slcero. She does not have Kidney involvement.