Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

I'm so happy (warning: sarcasm ahead)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 YFChoice

YFChoice

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

I'm so happy. I just found out that my pulmonary doctor wants to once again start me on a regimen of cyclophosphamide and prednisone. I couldn't be more thrilled. It seems that my life for the past 7 years has been rolling merrily along with barely any bumps in the road. Well, there was the time the car pulled out in front of me while I was going downhill on my bicycle and I hit it at 40mph......that WAS a big bump. However, my lungs, having had so much fun snowshoeing, hiking and cycling, decided to shake things up. So they presented me with scarring in the lower lobes of both lungs (the ground glass) and intense current inflammation, making it V E R Y difficult to catch a breath and breathe. And, since I've gotten used to breathing, now I'm going to have go and do something about it. Because of some very selfish lungs (with a need for attention) who didn't know how good they had it and couldn't leave well enough alone, now the rest of the body is going to have to suffer....very soon. So thanks. Thanks a lot.

In all or partial seriousness, this will be the 4th time I've gone thru this. At age 52, it is not something I look forward to....a little scarier, a little harder to physically get thru. But I will get thru it. With a little humor and my wife's most excellent chicken noodle soup, things will once again get right with the universe.

~ You have to think anyway.....you might as well think big

#2 razz

razz

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:04 PM

YFChoice,

I feel bad to hear the news but I did enjoy your view on starting this regimen again. What a great way to attack scleroderma, w/humor and sarcasm! That will take it off guard for sure. The nerve of those lungs to act up again. I'm glad your wife is standing ready with the noodle soup and with your great attitude, you'll be back in the saddle cowboy! (I remembered you're a Texan at heart!)

Hugs,
Razz
Live well, Laugh often, Love much

#3 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

YFChoice~

So sorry about your current relapse. You have a great attutude and a great partner to help get you through it.

Keep us posted on your progress and hang in there. You'll be in my thoughts.

#4 Karenlee

Karenlee

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:25 AM

YFcoice,

Sorry to hear your lungs are mis-behaving. Stay strong like you are and eat lots of chicken soup. Keep us posted on the treatments and how you are doing and feeling. Will you still be able to keep active while on the treatments? Or do they make you take it easy for a while?

#5 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:58 AM

Sorry to hear about your relapse but good for you on how you are choosing to deal with it!!!

How long have you had sclero? Is this your first relapse? Did you know your lungs were getting worse?

Thanks and warm hugs,

Peggy

#6 Snowbird

Snowbird

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:49 PM

YFChoice

I'm also sorry to hear it's giving you the gears! It must be so frustrating for you but I'm glad to hear that you have a great supporter in your wife. Keep us updated on how you're doing ok. :)
Sending good wishes your way!

#7 YFChoice

YFChoice

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:25 PM

Hey Razz.......of course I'm Texan by heart. Having been born and raised there I am actually Texan by soul, Texan by spirit. It's hard to explain but I feel a strength from being Texan. Arrogant? Maybe. Hoaky? No way. I know you like to handle things with a little bit of humor. It works, doesn't it?

Karenlee.....the other times it was by cyclophosphamide IV. I would do it on Friday morning and hopefully be able to somewhat function by Monday. When I took imuran by pill, I worked every day but it was tough. I guess I'll find out soon enough how it works this time.

Peggy........I've had SD for 26 years. I've had more highs and lows than a weather map. Since I've always been an athlete, I knew pretty quick that something was going on.

Snowbird........My wife is a great supporter. She's had SD for 15 years. We kinda know what's going on with each other when we feel terrible. It has made for a nice marriage...10 years next month. One of the reasons SD has been good to me is finding her.

Barefut.....thanks for the kind words.

~ You have to think anyway.....you might as well think big

#8 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:40 AM

I am so sorry to hear that you have to go through the chemo thing again! I went through it and I never want to have to do it again. Of course if I had to I would. Actually it has been so hot and humid here a few months with no hair might be a good thing! :)

Good luck and please do keep your humor and sarcasm coming!

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)