Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Liver and kidney involvement?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KarenL

KarenL

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:04 PM

In my recent blood work, I have low readings on ALT and GFR-V. I googled them and found that they are related to liver and kidneys. can anyone shed any more light in relation to sclero? My doctor is away till next week and I'm a little concerned. Thanks in advance,
Love Karen

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:47 PM

Hi Karen,

It's hard to get bad test results but not know for sure what they mean, isn't it? I feel for you, as I've been there, done that, myself.

They could mean something in relation to scleroderma, but then again, they might not. It's amazing how often there are irregularities on a blood test but they clear up on subsequent tests. Since about 20% of lab tests are erroneous, try to comfort yourself with the idea it's just a fluke -- and quite likely, just a medication side effect -- until you get a clear explanation from your doctor as to what it may mean in your case.

Then, please let us know what you find out! We're all ears...
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 Snowbird

Snowbird

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

I have no idea what it means either...but I'm with Shelley, we're all ears...let us know what your doctor says...try not to worry too much in the meantime (I know, easier said than done).
Sending good wishes your way!

#4 smac0719

smac0719

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:32 AM

I'm not familiar with those tests either, but I'm going to root for Shelley's response that it's erroneous. Keep us posted.
I may have Scleroderma, but Scleroderma doesn't have me!

#5 KarenL

KarenL

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:14 PM

Thanks ladies, I think I remember that when you take statins they have to monitor these things, maybe that's the answer. Even though I don't have high cholesterol, I'm on a statin because I've had three stents so they want my choles. as low as can be. I'll have anice weeken and wait for doctor. Thanks for your comfort and reassurance. No sense worrying.
Karen

#6 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:40 AM

Hi karen,
Like the others said, I wouldn't worry too much until you hear from the dr. I can tell you that a low ALT might not be a bad thing, it is usually concerning when it is high. For example my ALT was at 544 a few years back. It started out normal and kept clibming, climbing and climbing. It was related to a drug I was taking at the time and finally it is back to normal. Even at it's worst my dr wasn't overly concerned. He did the proper tests and we just watched to see what would happen. Try to relax but please let us know what the dr says.

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)