Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

My dog Tito

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 razz

razz

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:40 AM

For many years my oldest daughter wanted us to get a dog. I knew the responsibilities and gave many reasons why we couldn't get one. I even told her after my transplant, the doctors said I shouldn't be around animals for a year. After the year, she reminded me I said one year. I finally gave in but I decided it would be a dog I wanted. My sister had a bishon frice which I adored so we went out and found a bichon frice. He's been a great companion and loads of laughs. One of the things I found I could not do easily was pick up things from the floor. I thought it would be great if I could teach Tito to do that for me. Then I wouldn't have to get the reacher everytime something fell. He's a great student because he figured out everytime he picks up something, he gets a treat. Now, if something falls to the floor, like the remote control, make-up, papers, he comes running to pick it up. He does other tricks, like rolls over, stands and dances, and even figured out how to open his cage door. He's not fully housebroken, he sleeps in his cage at night. But I would never give him up. He's part of our family for life!

Razz
Live well, Laugh often, Love much

#2 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:46 AM

Hi Razz,
That's great that you have found a new companion, helper and most of all family member! Just watch out... too many treats can lead to an over weight pup that won't be able to do anything! My mother in laws dog gets a treat for everything. One day I saw how chubby she was getting so she had to cut back on her treats.

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#3 RememberingToSmile

RememberingToSmile

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:51 AM

Hi there-

If you drop as many things as I do - I think Tito may be getting enough exercise to control his weight :)

We have two larger dogs (standard poodle and wheaten terrier). I am lucky and my arms and hands are still in fairly good shape (just don't ask me to make a fist) So, I still do their brushing - it's good hand therapy. However, my husband took over all the walking/exercise duties a while ago. I really think the forced exercise/fun/relaxation time is the best medicine for my care-giving hubby - although the dogs leash manners have gone way downhill under his eye B)

Everyone I know who has a Bichon loves them. Sounds like a great choice!

-RTS

#4 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:03 AM

We have two dogs, a German Shorthair that is my husband; and a teacup poodle "Charlie" that is mine. He is my constant companion and is in my lap all of the time. He is the only one who loves my new life style of being on the couch napping all of the time as he loves to snuggle. I don't know what I'd do without him. I wish I could teach him like you have tought yours. They sure give unconditional love and are such good companions.

Warm hugs,

Peggy

#5 razz

razz

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:43 AM

Lisa,

I will keep an eye on his weight. He's a picky eater and hardly eats his dog food (probably from eating his dog biscuit treats). Thanks for the tip!

Razz
Live well, Laugh often, Love much

#6 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:29 AM

Razz, that's great that you got a new best friend! Just try playing fetch with him as his "treat" instead of giving him food all the time he behaves well. My littel one Sadie enjoys playing as her reward just as much as she enjoys getting dog cookies.

That's what I do and mine are lean and mean....LOL...not really, they are spoiled little angels with cute little tummies. Maxx is walking on my coffee table at the moment, but I'll let those 7lbs slide :).

Have fun with him...
Clem