Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Fibromyalgia: Little understood, often frustrating

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jude the Grouch_*

Guest_Jude the Grouch_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:24 PM

Fibromyalgia: Little understood, often frustrating. You wouldn't know it by looking at her, but at any given moment Dana Poole hurts all over. In addition to widespread pain, patients may complain about fatigue and sleep disturbances, depression, headaches, irritable bowel syndrome and heightened sensitivity. CNN.com./Health. July, 2008. (Also see: Fibromyalgia)

#2 smurfette

smurfette

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:00 PM

Indeed! And not very long ago doctors did not even accept that the disease existed so they just looked at you and treated you like you were crazy or were a hypochondriac. I even had a doctor (a neurologist)tell me that he did not believe in chronic pain - except in the case of his wife- and told be that I should just suck it up and deal. Obviously I found another doctor who did believe that fibro. exists, but it only added a component of guilt to my pain until I found a doctor who did believe that I had something physical wrong with me and it was not all in my head.
Smurfette

Chocolate, It isn't just for breakfast anymore!

#3 Sam

Sam

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:40 AM

Well Im glad my rheumatologist knows about Fibro and he put me on Lyrica and it has helped with my muscle pain. My other pain not so much.. I have met many who have Fibro and not sclero. And it hurts them so much they can't even stand someone touching them it hurts so bad.
Sam

#4 Buttons

Buttons

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:00 AM

There are many doctors in the UK who still do not believe that Fibro exists and one of them is my present rheumatologist. I was also diagnosed with this by another rheumatologist but I don't have it as bad as some.

Jensue

#5 Snowbird

Snowbird

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:19 PM

That's sooo pathetic, isn't it, to be in a job supposedly to help sick people only to have such closed minds, go figure! :lol:

I have FM too, luckily mild as well...but most days just walking up stairs causes pain.
Sending good wishes your way!