Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Splinter Haemorrhage?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:49 PM

I have just noticed that I think I have a splinter haemorrhage in one of my nails.
I have read somewhere on this site that this relates to the heart, but cannot find any information. Could one of the moderators set up a link for me somewhere?

Many thanks
Celia

#2 lizzie

lizzie

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:09 AM

Hi Ced, I get splinter haemorrhages all the time- is unusual for me not to have them . You can get splinter haemmorhages if you have bacterial endocarditis (a heart problem) but think they are probably very common in people with SSc.
Lizzie

#3 Sherion

Sherion

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

May I ask, what are splinter haemorrhages? I've heard of them, just don't know what they are.

Thanks,
Sherion

#4 lizzie

lizzie

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:02 AM

Hi Sherion. splinter haemorrahges are tiny blood clots in the small capillaries under the fingernails. The're tiny thin red lines initially but then fairly quickly become a black / brown colour and look just like wood splinters. You can get them anywhere on the nail, mine mostly appear in the middle portion of the nail and they eventually grow out with the nail. My Rhuematologist always looks to see the number of splinter haemorrahges I have, can tell how severe my raynuads has been!
Lizzie

#5 Purr

Purr

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:55 AM

Lizzie, thanks for the info. I had never heard of splinter haemorrahges.

Christy
Love makes the world go around!

#6 Sherion

Sherion

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:06 PM

Thanks, Lizzie!

I sometimes have the black lines that look like splinters, never had the red lines. I've always wondered what they were.

Sherion