Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

mouth issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bird Lady

Bird Lady

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:18 AM

Well BMW made me a dentist appointment so I guess I'm gonna have to go. She told them about my mouth and the terrible gag reflex. They said their gonna "gas" me. BMW checked with my doctor and he said it would be OK. Has anyone ever been "gassed" at the dentist and if so what was your experience like? Thanks for the input. Birdman
Hugs for All,

Julie (Bird Lady)

#2 Purr

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:52 AM

Hi Birdman,

If it's what I think you mean, it is to relax you. Believe me it will! It sure does me anyway. When they're finished working on you, they give you oxygen to help wake you up. It really isn't bad at all. I have always driven to my appointment and back home.

Love makes the world go around!

#3 Karenlee

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:42 AM

I always refused the gas. Too afraid of what I might say under the influence :D But I'm sure you'll be fine. My sister takes the gas and she does fine. Might as well rather than suffer thru it with just novocane.

Good luck.

#4 mutsy67

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

My hubby and son both get the gas and I'm convinced - I will do it next time for sure. Dentist explained that it would similiar to drinking a glass (or two) of wine. Oxygen afterwards and if you feel it too much you can have them stop it at any time.

Let us know how it works for you!
Shari (AKA Mutsy)

#5 Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:09 AM

I hate the dentist and always use the gas. My experience is I feel like I'm floating and don't have a worry in the world. It really seems to calm me down so when I hear the drill and smell the smoke of my tooth being drilled away it doesn't bother me. Otherwise I think I would be a nervous wreck. Good luck and if you are able to get the gas by all means do it!

Warm hugs,

#6 miocean

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:51 AM

I love gas. Unfortunately my dentist doesn't use it. It makes you feel very relaxed and will put a smile on your face. I don't know how much it will help the gagging though. I have a very bad gag reflex. I just had a root canal on a back molar and it was difficult. One thing that helped was lifting my legs in the air. I know it sounds odd, but it worked. I found that info here on the board. There was a post about gagging and a link to all sorts of solutions. Maybe you can search for it or a moderator can lead you to it. Good luck, going to the dentist is no fun, especially with our small sclero mouths!
ISN Artist

#7 MicheleM

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:52 AM

I used to get the "gas" when I was little with my extractions! I remember the light mint fragrance! The only thing I know is you should be sure BMW is with you to drive home! Or maybe that's a given! One time I tried to walk out into traffic & my mom kept me safe! I smile remembering the memory!!! Hope you don't fret too much! It's only the dentist!!! :)
Soft hugs your way,

#8 truman

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:05 PM

I haven't had the gas since a teen, but I do remember holding a ball like jiggy in my hand. The dentist said it was my way of controlling how much and how often by squeezing. Is that still done today? I just get Novocaine. It seems no matter what the pain is, ie: dental, foot, etc. I always have to be given twice the dosage as a normal person, Novocaine included. I used to have an extremely high tolerance to pain, but I think I've had so much pain in the last year without the fight left, that the tolerance has been extremely lowered.

It is what it is...........