Did you know that exercise increases inflammation in systemic sclerosis?

Photo

My aching neck

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Karenlee

Karenlee

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:47 AM

Hi everyone. Well I'm back with yet another complaint. Sorry if I'm whining a lot lately but seems that this is just one of those weeks.
Been having a still sore neck the last few days but today it's worse than ever.
It's on the right side and hurts so bad and I can't turn my head. Yesterday I put heat rub on but all it did was burn so bad I had to wash it off. I have a bottle of Prednisone left and I'm wondering if it's ok to take just one to ease the stiffness? (they are 4 mg).
I think it may be either my pillow being too big or the air conditioning. Or maybe both?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It really hurts.

Thanks.
Karen

#2 truman

truman

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:03 AM

Hi Karen:

I wouldn't take the Prednisone. I'm having such a time just trying to wean off the stuff, it's definitely not something I'd take randomly. An over the counter pain reliever would do just as well. Sometimes when I lift something heavy without bending properly, I pull a muscle in my chest and my neck too. Just don't realize how it happened because the pain usually shows up a day later. Did you try alternating with ice and a heating pad? When I do that with taking the pain reliever, the pain is usually gone in a day or so.
Tru

It is what it is...........

#3 YFChoice

YFChoice

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:53 AM

First of all, Karen, think about changing your pillows. My wife (who also has scleroderma) and I went to a local bed and bath store and bought the Therapedic pillows. They're a bit pricey, around $100, but well worth it. They conform to you head and neck. We were able to get rid of all of the other pillows and use just the one. She got the small one and I got the large.

Also, look for one of the many different herbal bags that you can find (like the rice bags).....probably also at this store. They come in different shapes so as to conform to your shoulders or neck or both. They can be microwaved for heat or put in the freezer for cold. If you use heat and cold alternately, do heat first for just a small amount of time followed by cold for a little longer time.

I'm with Tru.....no pred. Try over the counter stuff.

If you lived close by you could schedule a session with me. I'm a massage therapist and I deal with neck and shoulder issues every day.

Good luck.......hope you feel better soon.
~ You have to think anyway.....you might as well think big

#4 Buttons

Buttons

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:14 AM

Oh Karen you do seem to be having all sorts of things causing issues for you. I kept having a bad neck & upper shoulders last year and I used a wheat bag (long one) which wrapped around my neck, the heat eased mine. I also bought a memory foam pillow which also helped.
Hope it settles for you soon.

best wishes
Jensue

#5 kellyA

kellyA

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:29 AM

Yes, my neck acts up from time to time, especially if I go to the gym, something about working out actually hurts my neck, anyway I take alot of Mortin 800mg, it really helps, if your stomach can handle it try it.

Hope you feel better!

Kelly

#6 Karenlee

Karenlee

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:33 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. I laid down with a heating pad and I think I made it worse. Before I couldn't move my head side to side, but now I can't move it up or down. My doctor is 1 hour drive away so thats out. Think I'll grab and ice pack and try that now. :(

YF---if you make house calls to Long Island, I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat :)

#7 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:08 AM

I'm so sorry you are in pain. My neck pain is on my left side but it's not as bad as yours. I can't turn my head to the left without doing with my shoulders. My family has commented that I look like I'm having neck trouble and I was surprised they picked up on it. When I turn my head to the left it hurts. I haven't tried anything but the prescribed med, which I hate taking unless I have to. I thought the pain patch that I'm wearing would help too but it doesn't seem to.

I would try going from hot pack for 20 minutes, 20 minutes nothing, and then cold pack for 20 minutes. That's what my husband's chiropractor told him to do for his shoulder pain. When he does this in alternating pattern he has noticed that it helps. Maybe give it a try and see if helps.

Do you think this is from sclero? It seems there was another posting about the same thing and there seems to be alot of us with this issue.

I hope you get to feeling better!!!! Warm hugs to you,

Peggy

#8 CraigR

CraigR

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:53 AM

Have any of you experiencing this neck pain had an xray? The reason I ask is because I get chronic myalgia that always seems to start on the left side of my neck (trapezius?). It comes and goes. My orthopedic surgeon x-rayed it and found no arthritis or any joint problem. So it had to be muscular. It is common to follow physical exertion (and occasionally emotional stress). It starts at the neck and moves to the shoulder, and sometimes to the chest, making it painful to breathe. When I have a bad attack, my SED rate is always high - an indicator of inflammation Currently it seems to be effecting my upper left hip. I take acetominophen (can't take NSAIDS because I take blood thinner), as well as a narcotic pain reliever). For those who can take NSAIDS, aspirin, naproxen or ibuprofen might help. I agree with the others about avoiding prednisone. Too many potentially serious side effects for any but a very serious (life-threatening) need.

I also frequently get muscle cramps at night. I am convinced that sclero has more effects on muscles than the doctors seem to recognize. Many things can cause neck pain - but if it seem chronic, and other causes are rulled out (like arthritus), it seem that sclero-related myalgia could be the cause. It certainly seesm that way for me.

Craig

#9 Karenlee

Karenlee

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:09 AM

No Peggy I don't think it's sclero related. (oddly enough, because lately I've been blaming everything on sclero and I need to cut that out). I do think it has something to do with my connective tissue though.

On the upside, the pain is distracting me from my mouth sore :rolleyes:

#10 truman

truman

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

Peggy:

I don't think it's a Sclero issue. I think we are so sedentary, that when we do a little of this, or a little of that, we pull a muscle we probably haven't used in a while. At least that's what I find happens with me.
Tru

It is what it is...........

#11 KarenL

KarenL

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:24 AM

Karen,

Just a thought, it could be related to the thing in your mouth?! Same side? Just thinking...
Karen

#12 YFChoice

YFChoice

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:48 AM

Karen......I could make housecalls to Long Island, but since I live in Salt Lake City, I'd have to charge you a bunch for the outcall. :lol:
~ You have to think anyway.....you might as well think big

#13 smurfette

smurfette

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:05 PM

Karenlee,
I understand that you are in pain and no one can tell you how much you hurt. I am sorry that you are suffering. I would definitely recommend against prednisone. I have personal experience with it and will tell you that it was extremely hard on my stomach, entire digestive track and it wreaked havoc with my moods to boot! It took a long time for everything to get back to normal. I agree with the suggestion to get either an X-ray or an MRI of your neck to see what is going on. You should not be in such pain for a prolonged period of time.

It is important to know what is causing the pain. Then a plan of treatment can be determined. Please follow up on it so you can feel better soon. No one likes to hear that you are feeling so awful, especially if there may be a way for you to feel better!
Smurfette

Chocolate, It isn't just for breakfast anymore!

#14 Purr

Purr

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:12 PM

Karen,

Could it possibly be a pinched nerve?

Christy
Love makes the world go around!

#15 Karenlee

Karenlee

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:42 AM

YFchoice: Hey, since it's physical therapy maybe the insurance company would cover your travel expenses ;)

Smurfette: Thanks for your input. I still have the bottle of Prednisone because I had to stop due to an allergic reaction, so yeah probably not the brightest idea to take one. I was just desperate for releif. I took some ibuprofen today and that has helped a bit. If it stays this bad though hubby said he'd leave work and take me to the doctor. I'm going to take a wait and see approach.

Purr: It could be. I really don't know. I thought it was a muscle pull/strain/spasm but I could be wrong. I suppose if it stays like this I'll go have it looked at. The heat/ice didn't really do much.

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.
Karen

#16 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:06 AM

Sorry to hear that the ice/heat didn't help. I'm glad to hear that if it doesn't get better that you are going in. I think it's a good idea just in case there is something serious going on. You just never know. I will be thinking of you and wishing that you will be better and free of pain.

Warm hugs,

Peggy

#17 lizzie

lizzie

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:42 AM

Hi Karen, the thing that I have found helps most with neck pain is Ibuprofen gel applied to the sore area- for me was better than taking oral ibuprofen.
Lizzie