Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Hyperhydrosis

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 luvbnmom3

luvbnmom3

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:27 AM

I'm sure part of it has to do with my shoes which are rubber, I've worn that brand for a few years with no issues but this pair hugs my soles more (even though they are open toed & just have to straps over the top of the foot).

Anyways... does anyone deal with hyperhidrosis or did you ever at any stage? I have had night sweats for sometime now, but weirdly, the week they stopped, my feet decided to do the sweating instead! I haven't soaked my sheets at night for about 7 weeks & my feet, which never sweat before, are now raining & only when I start walking in those sandals... it is literally like walking in a puddle.

I did read that "scleroderma-like" skin thickening can be a cause of hyperhydrosis.

#2 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:01 AM

I have the terrible night sweats like you did but I have no idea of the just the feet sweating. I have never heard of such a thing and it's a new one to me. I can imagine it's a royal pain in the bottom. I know the night sweats are terrible for me as I'm sure they were for you. I wish you luck in finding out what this is all about.

Warm hugs,

Peggy

#3 Purr

Purr

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

My feet have always been sweaty, but after I was diagnosed with scleroderma they got worse. I wore socks all of the time then because my feet would get soooo cold. It got to the point where I was going through 2 or 3 pairs of socks a day because my feet would get so sweaty. I have very little sweating now but, atleast once a day I have a 'burning' flare up and the bottom of my feet turn bright red.

Happiness and sunshine, :D
Christy
Love makes the world go around!

#4 HouckRN78

HouckRN78

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:02 PM

I often wondered how feet that were so cold could sweat so much! And then to go from ice cold to burning up on the soles was such a shock. I didn't realize my night sweats and "feet hot flashes" might be related to scleroderma. It's so reassuring to hear that others have these problems and realize that I might not be totally crazy. (Just a little crazy is ok!) I would definately avoid those sandals until this subsides. Meanwhile, you can always get a nice foot powder for your sneakers if they get a little funky smelling.

Keep your spirits up! Heather

#5 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

I haven't heard of hyperhydrosis (too much sweating of hands and feet) being caused by scleroderma (yet) so I'd certainly be interested to have someone email me links to abstracts on it so that we can include it on the main site.

However, I know that hypohidrosis (reduced sweating) and anhidrosis (absence of sweating) is related to scleroderma. Many years ago, I was diagnosed with areas of hypohydrosis and anhydrosis with a Thermoregulatory Sweat Test...which I still personally rank as one of my least favorite medical tests.

It entails having your (entire) "birthday suit" dusted with this golden-colored dust. Then you are plopped in a human oven -- complete with thermometer -- and baked for up to about 30 minutes or until you reach the primary end points, which means, reaching a certain internal temperature or having sweat profusely and thus having turned all the gold dust to purple.

I failed to reach the proper internal temperature and to turn all the dust purple, so they kept on extending the test -- to nearly 90 minutes! Imagine about 90 minutes in a sauna, if you will. It was weeks before I felt any sort of return to my baseline condition.

The topping on the cake though was that when the test was finally ended, the rolled me out -- on a stretcher and still in my birthday suit -- and took an overhead photo to show which areas of my body had turned purple, and which had not.

And the whole conclusion to the test was that I didn't sweat all over and my internal temperature didn't rise very efficiently. Well duh -- I'd already told my doctor I felt cold all the time, and that I didn't sweat very well anymore. Which part of that simple statement didn't they understand or believe?

Now that I've been through the mill on medical testing, if I was given the same offer today (for a Sweat Test) I'd surely pass on it. There comes a point at which common sense should come into play with testing, I believe, especially when we are already sick -- and when the results will not change our treatment plan (any more than stating that, hey doctor, I'm always cold and I don't sweat very well lately.)
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#6 Carol Lee

Carol Lee

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:45 PM

I would agree with you Shelley about having testing done. If the test will not change treatment then then why go thru the discomfort. I find this information on sweating interesting, there does not seem any part or function of the body that can escape sclero.

Carol Lee