Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Scleroderma and Exercise?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 canon

canon

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

Hi razz,

Can't do a routine anymore with exercise but will use the pool in the summer. If that can't be done, will use my interactive computer game console. There are alot of different games that you need to interact with. Surprising it is quite exhausting sometimes. The kids like it too and it makes it fun.

Judy
A happy heart is good medicine.

#22 razz

razz

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:34 PM

Judy,

I haven't tried the games console, but it sure looks like fun! I think this is a great game for kids (and parents) to play since they have so much energy. Swimming in the pool is one of my favorite pastimes.

Hugs,
Razz
Live well, Laugh often, Love much

#23 Guest_delk_*

Guest_delk_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:39 AM

I haven't been able to integreate much needed flexibility and strengthening exercise into my post symptomatic scleroderma life, but prior to that I did a fair amount of yoga. In my experience, if you tell the teacher about your limitations, he/she will be able to recommend alternative poses and exercises that you'll be able to do as the class is in progress. They often suggest to the class alternatives for those with less flexibility or knee or back issues--so nothing to feel awkward about.

#24 razz

razz

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:17 AM

delk,

Thank goodness there are exercise instructors who will recommend an alternate routine for people like us who aren't as flexible. Thank you for that great reminder. I'll keep that in mind next time I sign up for a class.

Hugs,
Razz

#25 Guest_Soaring Eagle_*

Guest_Soaring Eagle_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:12 AM

I don't know if anyone is still reading this topic, but I go to gym which is part of an international chain of exercise facilities for women only. They use hydraulic machines so the amount of resistance is determined by how many repetitions you do. It's circuit training - you spend 30 seconds on a machine, then 30 seconds on a "recovery station." The recovery station is just a small platform. Some of the women barely move on them and some jog in place - whatever floats your boat is OK! Music is always playing so a lot of people dance. They don't allow portable music devices and encourage the development of friendships. There is a good mix of patrons -- young healthy women to 80 year old women with RA. I find everyone to be very supportive of each other. I go 3 times a week. The circuit takes about 30 minutes, and they encourage a stretching routine afterwards - it takes about 10 minutes. I LOVE IT!!! I tried gyms with the more traditional weight machines.. and couldn't do them. When I told my rheumatologist about this place, he was all for it. As a side note, I had moderate bone loss in my hips and mild bone loss in my spine. After pursuing this program for a year, my spine was better (not normal, but better) and my hips showed mild loss instead of moderate. The only thing that was different was starting the exercise. It is a science-based program and it works! Try googling "women's exercise programs" and you may be able to find a similar program in your area.

Soaring Eagle

#26 susie54

susie54

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

I am learning alot from reading all the posts here. I try to keep physically active . ON flare ups, of course things are restricted. But overall I walk, do alot of water aerobics, core exercises and small weights with limited exercises as not to aggravate the shoulders. I find exercise has been the number one deterent of pain and even when I don't want to , I try to do them and usually I am always happy I did. Sometimes though the legs won't walk and feet hurt too much. That is where water and pilates come in.
I love to strectch everyday for at least 15 minutes. It makes me feel so much better. Susie54

#27 razz

razz

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:50 PM

Soaring Eagle,

It’s never too late to contribute to any of our topics. I like how your gym doesn’t allow portable music devices to encourage friendships and how it’s a science-based program. I am also glad to hear there’s been noticeable improvement in your bone mass. That’s encouraging for those of us who have experienced bone loss. Thanks for sharing your exercise experience!

Susie54,

I agree water aerobic is relaxing and not so hard on the joints. I prefer stretching for a few minutes in the morning. It stretches the muscles and gets the joints moving. Sometimes I don’t feel up to walking, but like you, I also feel better afterwards! Keep that great motivational spirit!

Hugs,
Razz