Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Sleepless in Kokomo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Purr

Purr

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:23 PM

It seems like since I started taking neurontin I haven't been sleeping very well. I 've been waking up about every 2 hours. This morning I woke up at 3:30 am and haven't been able to go back to sleep. I even took a sleeping pill last night.

:blink:

Christy
Love makes the world go around!

#2 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:29 AM

Hey sleepless in Kokomo - Sleepless in Port Townsend here. Been up for hours myself. Hate it. Usually try to get something productive done but too clumsy and foggy headed for anything like housework or bill paying :lol:

Sorry you are having sleepless nights. I was going to ask if anyone has tried melatonin? (am I spelling that right? Am I even thinking about the right thing? Don't think too clearly without sleep don't 'cha kno'... :P )

Sweet dreams to you

#3 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:05 AM

Hi Serena ,

We have been decreasing one of G's meds that allowed him to sleep all night and the doctor recommended OTC Melatonin for him. He said to start at 300 mcg and he can go to 900. Anyways, the 300 seem to do the work for him with no side affects. Me, I took it to see what it would do, like cause bad dreams or nightmares, and I was flying higher than a kite all night!!! If it doesn't work, you're out $3.00.....if it does, you may get a good night sleep. You're suppose to take it 1/2 hr before you want to go to sleep.

G's on so many meds and it is so hard for me to keep track of the side affects and what will interact with another. I know the pharmacists are suppose to 'catch' interactions, etc., but they don't always remember to tell you when is the best time to take the meds.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#4 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:57 AM

Sorry to hear about your inability to sleep. I took neurotin and I didn't have that side effect. I too struggle with being able to sleep the whole night. I take 2 over-the-counter benadryl to try and help, along with my amitriptyline, and I still wake up numerous times. With the fatigue I battle with this disease and then you add not being able to sleep on top of it doesn't help. I hope you get some relief!

Warm hugs,

Peggy

#5 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:14 AM

Thanks Margaret. I'm going to give it a try. Everything else I've tried makes it hard for me to snap out if it in the morning so I might as well be taking nothing and dealing with the lack of sleep.

I have tried night time cold meds, over the counter sedatives, amitriptyline and Xanax. Hopefully Melatonin will do the trick. Better ask my doctor first though...

#6 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:06 AM

Hi Serena ,

Some of these over the counter sedatives make me *fly* all night!!! It's hard finding the *reason* why they do the opposit of what they are suppose to. I can't take ibuprofen at night either.....I think that it is the red dye in the tablets that keeps me awake. I use dye free tablets for sleeping and it is getting harder and harder to find the dye free pills.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret