Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Update on medical tests

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ozzy69

ozzy69

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:54 AM

Hi everyone,

I went Wednesday , and had all test that my rheumatologist ordered done. It was a long day. I don't get my results until 9/17/08 when I go back to my rheumatologist. I had Pulmonary function tests, Barium swallow, echo, and ct scan of the chest. The only problem we discussed at the hospital were: The doctor stated my swallow test looked good except when I was taking the pill. It kept getting stuck. I could feel it and I would tell her it is stuck here, and she would say I see it. Finally I got it down. She also said I have a little reflux, which is normal. She did not understand why the pill was getting stuck, because she could see in the x-ray why. She stated make sure I cut my food in small pieces, when I eat.

Nothing was said about the CT scan, except get with doctor for results.

Nothing was said about the echo, except get with your doctor for results.

The Pulmonary function tests was good and bad I guess. She stated my lungs were good but I tested below normal in the part that shows if there is an blockage. You had to breathe all the air out and then suck back in. We did it over ten times, and then she made me do the inhaler. It change one time to 10% higher with the inhaler, but it also went lower with the inhaler a couple times. She did not understand why and she was making me frustrated after a while.

It is hard waiting for the exact results from the doctor. I guess I don't have a choice. Has anyone had any results like the ones they gave me so far?

Thanks
Nina Lynn

#2 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:25 AM

I'm sure you are exhausted from all of that and I hope that your results are all good. It sounds like they tested for everything which is good. Please let us know what you find out.

Warm hugs,

Peggy

#3 razz

razz

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:51 AM

Nina Lynn,

I still have problems swallowing pills, even the smaller ones. I've had them get stuck at the back of my throat where I can even cough it back out. :blink: It will take a second or third try with lots of water. Forget about the bigger multivitamin pills. I take one look and say forget it. One solution I've tried is putting the pill in a sandwich bag, smash it to bits with a hammer, mix it into water and drink it. I've nearly choked on the big pills so I don't even try unless they are the shiny coated kind. When it comes to food, I chew as many times as possible and I cut up the meat into small pieces.

All the tests you mentioned will give your rheumatologist a good idea of what's going on with your body and if any test result is unusual, she will be able to address it right away. I have the same tests done once a year and a comparison is done with the previous year to see if there are any changes (preferably improvements :) ).

You are on the right track Nina Lynn. I like how your rheumatologist scheduled you to come back in a timely manner for the results. Good job! Keep us posted on the results!

Hugs,
Razz
Live well, Laugh often, Love much

#4 canon

canon

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:10 PM

Hi Nina,

Glad to hear all your tests are completed. The waiting is difficult. My thought has always been, if they don't admit you into a hospital then that is a good sign. Of course with symptoms lingering it is good when you hear the results, positive or negative. At least then you can start to deal with some things. Good luck.

Wishing you speedy results,

Judy
A happy heart is good medicine.

#5 ozzy69

ozzy69

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

Cannon, Razzberry, and Peggy,

Thanks so much for your replies. I have been on this journey to figure out what is wrong with me for the last four years. It can wear on you after a while. I started losing faith that anyone would figure out, but I have a great new rheumatologist now and I am sure she & I will figure it out. Hopefully I will get my answers when I go back on the 17th.

Thanks again,
Hugs
Nina Lynn

#6 Snowbird

Snowbird

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:36 PM

Hi Nina Lynn

Nice to hear you finally got all those tests done....it sounds like you do have a good rheumatologist who is looking into everything fully for you now. Keep us posted on your results and I'll keep my fingers crossed with good wishes for you! :)
Sending good wishes your way!