Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Adult Vaccinations

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:10 AM

I need to get a Hep A, Typhoid and DTap shot and have them scheduled for tomorrow.

Would I be nuts to get 3 in one day? I've read the possible side effects and they are slim. Actually, the Hep A shot has a 1 out of 4 shot of causing a headache which seemed high to me though. The possibility of getting ill feeling from them is low but getting 3 at once is different. Has anyone else gotten a bunch of vaccinations at once and did you feel sick?

Thanks,
Clem

#2 Gidget

Gidget

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:47 PM

Clementine,

You should consult with your rheumatologist BEFORE you get any of the vaccines. It is my understanding that they have informally linked the Typhoid vaccine to possibly causing Sclero. I believe that I did get sclero from having the Hepatitus and Typhoid vaccines. At the time of the vaccines I only had Raynaud's and all my blood work was negative for any autoimmune disease. It never occurred to me that the vaccines are a problem for those with autoimmune symptoms and will trigger an autoimmune disorder.

And yes, I had all the vaccines together -- I felt like I had been run over by a train weeks after the vaccines. I was exhausted, achy and my arm hurt for at least 3 weeks afterward. I felt like I had the flu for at least a month after the vaccines. I had the vaccines as I was doing a lot of traveling on business to Asia.

Again, please consult with your rheumatologist BEFORE you have the vaccines. I wish I had. Good Luck.

Gidget

#3 smac0719

smac0719

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

I haven't had a need to have 3 immunizations, but I'd check with your rheumatologist or primary for advice.
I may have Scleroderma, but Scleroderma doesn't have me!

#4 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:51 PM

That's an interesting question, Clem. We do have a section on Causes of Scleroderma: Vaccinations but of course there are also dozens of other things that can also cause scleroderma, and perhaps its a bit of a moot issue since you already have it.

I don't recall having multiple vaccinations, so I'm unable to share any personal experience on the subject. Here's a link to Mayo Clinic for Adult Vaccinations.

Let us know how you do tomorrow, and how you fare afterwards.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#5 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for replying...I've been hoping someone would have some info. Wow, I had no idea that Typhoid is possibly linked to sclero. Looks like I have some more reading to do.

I did consult my rheumatologist (sclero expert) and he did warn against live vaccines, given my immune system status. I am on Cellcept.

I did get a TD shot a year before I became super sick with scleroderma!!! I had symptoms way before that though.

Gidget, wow, now I really do not want these vaccines. I told my husband it sounded like torcher and I think I was right.

I am traveling but we are not going to any area that is at high risk for disease, I was just worried about my immune system being compromised. However, the government website recommends certain vaccines for immunocompromised people. :(
Prior to reading these posts, I was really pro Hepatitis A...but not sure anymore.

Thanks,
Clem

#6 Buttons

Buttons

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:33 PM

I read this some interest because I have had Raynaud's for about 10 years before finally being diagnosed with SSc, I also had some blood tests which had kept coming back borderline for autoimmune conditions. Then a few years ago I had all the vaccines you mentioned at once and did not think anything of it but like Gidget I was not too well after having them and it also took about 3 weeks before my arm felt ok. I stated being very tired, aches & pains etc and after blood test 18 months ago I found out I had positive anti centromere antibodies and have other symptoms which led to my diagnoses. Perhaps this is what finally kick started off?

#7 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:55 AM

Interesting. I wonder what the worst thing that can happen for someone already with Systemic Sclerosis could be. I mean, I already have it, so I can't get it again, LOL.

I do not want to aggravate the sclero. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Clem

#8 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:18 AM

Hi Clem,

Here's an article on how to Prevent Hepatitis from the Mayo Clinic. Just a few of the tips include peeling and washing all your fresh fruits and vegetables yourself, avoiding raw or undercooked meat and fish, drinking only bottled water, avoiding ice cubes, and using bottled water for tooth brushing. It also describes the various vaccines available, and which ones are safe for people whose immune system is compromised.

Apart from preventing hepatitis, tips like these can also help prevent other illnesses that travelers are prone to. Good luck on your journeys!
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.