Did you know that exercise increases inflammation in systemic sclerosis?

Photo

Did pregnancy/birth start your scleroderma?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rainbow

rainbow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:38 AM

Hi!
Have any of you experienced that scleroderma/Crest started during a pregnancy/after giving birth. I want to have another child, and the reumatologist told me I could with no risk. But I have read in here that for some of you it all started with a pregnancy. Since I have the anti-centromere in my blood (but still no symptoms of sclero.), I don't want to take a risk of starting Crest by getting pregnant.. But the rheumatologist said there was no statistics about this.. He would not advice me to give up having another child.
What are your experiences?

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:55 AM

Hi Rainbow,

That's a good question! We have a whole section on Pregnancy and Scleroderma. Also in our section on Causes of Scleroderma, Fetal Cells are an item of research.

But we can't control for everything in life or avoid all possible hazards. If your rheumatologist doesn't see any particular risk for you, I'd say, go for it. (Bear in mind of course, I have no medical training at all, and study all the documentation to make your own decision.)

Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:06 AM

Hi Rainbow,
I was diagnosed with sclero before I had my two girls. My pregnancies were a bit rocky ( I delivered early with both).

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#4 canon

canon

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

Hi rainbow,

I was not able to have or carry children and I still have scleroderma,(cREST). I had cREst for many years prior to cREST. The disease has no boundaries. The starting point is uncertain should it develop into scleroderma for you.

Read as much as you can about it and talk more to your Doctor.

Best to you.

Judy
A happy heart is good medicine.

#5 smurfette

smurfette

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:23 PM

No one knows why scler develops or what effect pregnancy has on the disease. Your doctor did not advise you against getting pregnant. The next step would be to consult with your OB/GYN or to get an appointment with a high risk OB/GYN and speak with them and see if they foresee any problems with a pregnancy under your particular circumstances.
If none of the doctors. say that a pregnancy would be dangerous for either you or your child then go for it! You want the child and if the consensus of the doctors is that you will be ok then why not? I would read as much as I can find about pregnancy with your disease and what you can expect. I would also take very good care of myself and eat well, rest and do everything you need to do under normal conditions to ensure a healthy pregnancy. Having a child is a wonderful experience and we have a limited window in which we can have them. Once menopause hits you are out of business, so find out if all the doctors are on board and go ahead with your plan. A child is forever, pregnancy is for 9 months. If your body can take it and you want to do it, good luck! I hope you have a joyous, easy time!
Smurfette

Chocolate, It isn't just for breakfast anymore!