Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Ticket to work (Disability)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alice02

Alice02

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:24 AM

Hi everybody, I am in the process in getting information on Ticket to Work program. But I would appreciate it some of you have any experience in this matter of any information you may have on this subject.

I appreciate your input.

Alice

#2 Nina

Nina

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:24 AM

Hi Alice:
My name is Nina, I've been working for more than three years now and I started out on the "Ticket to Work." I work part-time, 8 - 2 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I was very fortunate to find an organization that was willing to accomodate me in that respect.
While under the "Ticket to Work" I had to send my pay stubs to my local SS office every month. I was allowed to work a limited number of hours (this will depend on your hourly wage) each month. I believe the amount is somewhere around $800 that you are allowed to earn each month. Once you go over that amount, they will deduct from your monthly SS check. I'm not sure what they actually deduct as I never worked over the limit.
I had a very nice worker who explained everything to me. Other than that, it's been more than three years now and I haven't had any problems at all. I continue to work, keeping the amount earned just under the limit set.
I hope you are able to do the same, I think it has been very good for me to have this part-time job. Even though I usually end up sleeping through Thursday and Friday...and at times Saturday. But then on Monday I'm ready to do it again. I feel fortunate.
I have been diagnosed with Limited Sclero./CREST ~ at times it can be very challanging, but I do think it keeps me going.
Best of luck with your job search, I hope you are as fortunate as I have been.
Much love,
Nina (DE)

#3 Alice02

Alice02

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:36 AM

Hi Nina, I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my topic. I just came back today from one of those network that social security hired to help people with disability to get back to work. And I got so depressed, because the kind of jobs they have is something I can't do. I called social security and asked them if I'm allowed to find job on own and they said is fine is long as I send them all the information about my job.

Alice

#4 Nina

Nina

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:29 PM

Hey Alice ~
I found my job on my own. I do secretarial work, nothing much. I do hope you can find something. I feel very lucky, as I said, I couldn't ask for anything better.
Have you thought about a doctor's office? Maybe even just filing or something. Don't give up, it will appear when the time is right.
Much love,
Nina (DE)