Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Glaucoma

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 smac0719

smac0719

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:20 PM

I had a visit with my ophthalmologist recently and he believes I may be on the verge of developing glaucoma. I have been seeing this ophthalmologist yearly for the past 4 years due to a diagnosis of diabetes. I continued to see him after the diabetes leveled off due to the use of plaquenil. I have been on restasis for dry eyes for over a year and this year the dryness got worse. I saw the doctor in April for my yearly exam and went back in August because of the severe dryness. I believe he said my corneas were thinning? (didn't take good notes on this visit). He wants to see me every 6 months now.

I have pretty healthy eyes. I am 40, have worn reading glasses a few times on and off as an adult, but my eyes will strengthen and the need to wear them changes.

Both my mom and brother wear glasses to see (my dad wore glasses too). Glaucoma and cataracts run on my mom's side of the family, but I have not inherited any of the other eye traits (bad vision and cataracts). Her whole family wears glasses with the exception of a small few of us.

I can see fine, but have a difficult time focusing some times. My eyes feel strained and I guess I'm feeling some pressure at other times. I am just wondering how much of this is sclero related and what is hereditary?
I may have Scleroderma, but Scleroderma doesn't have me!

#2 isobelle44

isobelle44

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

Your eye doctor appointment sounds just like my last appointment. The same thing, possible starting of glaucoma. and return every 6 months. I have cataracts and eye problems in my family as well but I have only had reading glasses in the past and my eyesight hasn't changed for a long time. My eyes are starting to feel dry to and I also have diabetes. So I'm not sure if it is diabetes or sclero related. I was curious, you said plaquinel leveled out you diabetes? I havent heard of that before. I started plaquenil almost 3 months ago, I will be going for my 1st check the end of October. How did the plaquinil help the diabetes? Sharon

#3 smac0719

smac0719

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:06 AM

I'm sorry Isobelle. I worded that sentence wrong. My diabetes leveled off just due to watching what I eat, eating smaller meals, eliminating some carbs and most sugars. I took metformin for a short while, but my blood sugars got too low. I continued seeing the dr because I was put on plaquenil. The plaquenil didn't affect the diabetes.

Our situations do sound eerily similar. :blink: Keep me posted and I will do the same.

#4 canon

canon

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

Hi smac,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your eyes. The only time the pressure in my eyes went up was when I was on prednisone and returned to my normal when I stopped taking the prednisone. The opthamologist noted some other kind of change and it is being watched and has not progressed. Glaucoma runs on both sides of my family. My sister was just diagnosed with it too.

The dry eyes started this past year along with dry mouth and nose. The opthamologist did all those tests for dry eyes which were all positive and she said it was the worst she had seen. I have refresh tear drops, saliva lozengers and nasal spray. Sjogrens lab is negative. Go figure!

I have never read where sclero caused glaucoma but I have not read everything yet and maybe wrong.

Take care.

Judy
A happy heart is good medicine.

#5 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:35 AM

Hi Smac,

I'm sorry to hear you might be developing glaucoma. We have a page on Scleroderma Eye Involvement by Dr. Liz Irvin and Dr. C. Stephen Foster. Dr. Foster is is founder of the Massachusetts Eye Research and Surgery Institute (MERSI) and of the Ocular Immunology and Uveitis Foundation. Eye symptoms and diseases that may be related to scleroderma, including Normal Tension Glaucoma and Autoimmune Iritis or Uveitis. Glaucoma-type abnormalities are reported to be more common in systemic sclerosis patients, than in controls.

However, that does not mean that all cases of glaucoma in a scleroderma patient are due to scleroderma, either. Diabetes is also a well-known cause of glaucoma, as you know.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#6 smac0719

smac0719

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:51 PM

Thanks Judy for the response and Shelley for the link. I actually looked there before I posted and just wanted to know if there were others experiencing the same problems. I will be sure to keep up with my appointments and hope that I do not develop glaucoma. Although the only person in my family who lost their site from glaucoma is my grandma. She was legally blind when she died. In speaking with my mom I found out a few of her siblings (my grandma's children) have glaucoma and I think they all have cataracts so it is probably most likely hereditary for me. B) One of my aunts has had it over 20 years and she has controlled it with eye drops so I guess it's not all doom although she does wear some heavy duty glasses. ;)

#7 Buttons

Buttons

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:13 AM

Hi Smac

Glaucoma is an issue in my family with my mother already being blind in one eye with it! It runs through her family, my grandad being blind as well. My sister also has it so my optician keeps a close check on me but so far I'm OK. But I also have some problems with my eyes which has caused some poor vision in one eye. I also have dry eyes, nose & mouth and been told it's Sicca / Sjogrens Syndrome so take drops for my eyes, a nasal spray along with a saline nasal spray for my nose and use saliva lozengers for the dry mouth.

Jensue

#8 smac0719

smac0719

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

Jensue,

Does your dry mouth cause your lips to be dry too? I have had a big problem with my lips being dry and nothing seems to relief it for longer than an hour or two. I keep chapstick and petroleum jelly on me at all times.

#9 Buttons

Buttons

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:39 AM

Smac I have that problem & like you carry petroleum jelly with me at all times because sometimes the corners of my mouth actually split and that is very painful. I don't know if thats linked to the fact that my mouth has pulled in. I have just bought some rehydrating cream for my lips & around the mouth to see if that will help.

#10 smac0719

smac0719

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:54 AM

Jensue,

Let me know how the rehydrating creme works. I was in the pharmacy today and bought a tube of medicated lip balm. It has helped and I have not had to apply it as frequently (only twice so far).