Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

A new outlook...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 razz

razz

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:37 AM

Hi everyone!

I never know where to post, so here I'm posting in the den.

Yesterday I went to the grocery store to get a refund on a purchase I made. I'm standing in line and you know that feeling when someone behind you is staring at you. Well I had that feeling and I could see a figure from the corner of my eye, but I chose to ignore it. This is my first reaction. The manager was taking long with the lady in front of me. I could still feel the staring. Now I'm thinking it must be my 87 lb. frame and I wonder what I look like from behind. Hmmm. Now this person must be curious because she is now standing to the right of me and peering at my face. I look and it is a young 19 or 20 yr. old lady holding a baby. I usually smile or stare back but today I wasn't in the mood. Finally I finished my business and left the store. Usually I'd end up stewing or going into a slump. But for some reason I thought Wow she was staring at me because of how beautiful I look. Now I know how it must feel to be famous and beautiful! I decided from now on that's my new outlook!

Famous and Beautiful,
Razz

:)
Live well, Laugh often, Love much

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:05 AM

Hi Razz,

Actually, maybe she recognized you from your book and was wanting to ask for your autograph, but didn't have the nerve! <LOL>

My husband, Gene is on oxygen, is a Panera restaurant greeter, he gladly talks to anyone or anything that moves, appears with me at book signings for the Voices of Scleroderma book series, we have our photos online for this site, of course, and we are both in a tv commercial for a medical supplier. So we are continually surprised when people stare at us before approaching us when we're out, and we've given up trying to anticipate why. A friend? The oxygen? A restaurant customer? The books? The website? The tv ads? The Handicap-Parking-But-You-Sure-Look-Healthy-To-Me Stare?

It can get downright funny how often we can be wrong...just about the time you think they might be staring trying to get up nerve to ask "How long have you been on oxygen?" or "Now where is it I've seen you before?" or, the best one yet "Can I have your autograph?" -- it turns out the stare is due to a large blob of left-over food on the shirt or a forgotten zipper <sigh>...

And maybe with you, they figure, you're so thin you MUST be rich and maybe even a former Spice Girl!!! So next time, why not just give a ten-megawat smile and say, "Sorry, I'm in a hurry or I'd give you my autograph. I'm glad you liked the book though!" ;)
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 razz

razz

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:06 AM

Thanks Shelley!

You're right. Maybe the young lady thought I looked familiar from somewhere, perhaps my book. You made me realize how popular we can might be and not even know it. And I guess having a size zero is not a bad thing. People might want to know my secret.

Next time I will borrow your suggestion! Now if I could only add rich to my signoff.

Hugs,
Famous and Beautiful,
Razz

:)

#4 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:01 PM

Hi Razz,

If I can always tell people I'm "dynamite!" (even my doctors, some of whom ask me the same question two or three times just because they've never encountered that reply before) despite "all of it" -- then there's certainly no reason you can't add "rich" to your signature.

I figure, I'm dynamite in my spirit, where it truly matters and that is entirely different from any other circumstance. It is simply an attitude and approach. And they can just guess whether it means I'm terrific or whether I'm about to explode. :P

You're rich in attitude, right? Isn't that what counts more than anything? I'm sure there are people who would trade millions just for one minute of enjoying a happy spirit. I'm not too sure they'd also be willing to trade bodies or bank accounts with us...but I'm going to hold out for the highest bidder who takes the *entire* package. <LOL>

So, next time someone asks how you are, try to reply, "I'm rich, famous and beautiful, thank you." Oh my goodness, maybe we're onto something here -- I've never heard anyone reply like that, even those who are! So it would have to be good for a terrific laugh.

Best of all, this means I can now brag to everyone that I know someone who is rich, famous and beautiful!!!
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#5 razz

razz

Senior Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:36 PM

Hey Shelley!

I like the way you put things into perspective. I guess I am all that and then some! (I better be careful I think my head just doubled in size) Rich in spirit is something we can't put a price on. :D

Thanks for making my day!

Hugs,
Rich, Famous & Beautiful
Razz