Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Normal values, where to find them

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lotokids9

lotokids9

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:14 AM

I just had more blood work done and the doctor I am now going to is part of an online thing where I can see my results as soon as she can however this time the labs do not have the normal vaules range listed so I am still waiting because I can't seem to find anything that can tell me what I am looking at so I thought I would post them here and see if any of you can help me....

Lupus Anticoagulant Panel R
DRVVT Confirmatory Test R NOT APPL
aPTT 37
Hexagonal Phospholipid Neut NOT APPL
DRVV Corrected NOT APPL
TT NOT APPL
Reptilase Time (Patient) NOT APPL
PTT-Heparin Neutralized NOT APPL
Interpretation: SEE NOTE
PTT, 1:1 Mix Unincubated NOT APPL
DRVV Patient 38
Platelet Neutralization NOT APPL
PT 13.4

(there was no note attached, some had numbers other said not appl. ??)

Cyclic Citrul Peptide Ab, IgG 2

B2Glycoprotein I, IgA Ab Options 8

Scleroderma Ab 323

This lab does not write an H for high next to them they typically just give the normal value range and so you can tell. Really wanting to know what all this means and trying to figure it out on my own. I am sure the doctor will call me soon.

This is what is says for the results of my Echo...

Summary
1. Mild tricuspid regurgitation. By Doppler estimation, no pulmonary hypertension;
further, RV size and function are normal. 2. Left ventricular systolic function is
normal. 3. There is mild left ventricular hypertrophy. 4. Impaired relaxation pattern
of LV diastolic filling. 5. The right atrium is mildly dilated. Normal-appearing IVC
suggests lack of central venous hypertension. 6. Mild pulmonic valve regurgitation.

My CT looked great
CT chest angiogram: CT chest angiography was performed with the
administration of 150 mL Isovue-300. There is no evidence of
pulmonary embolus. The pulmonary arterial tree appears normal.
Lungs are clear without evidence of acute or chronic disease. No
obvious hilar, mediastinal or pleural abnormality.

Radiologic diagnosis:

1. Normal chest CT angiogram.

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:38 AM

Hi Lotokids,

Normal values can vary by lab, so its important to have their particular normal value ranges. My main clinic usually lists the Normal ranges, but they also do not tag abnormal results as High or Low...it makes it very hard to catch the abnormal listings.

I don't quite grasp their reasoning for not always giving ranges, or not tagging for out of range results. Is it to prevent us (the patients) from worrying? If so, it is an abysmal failure! It would also be much more reassuring if they also posted their lab error rate with the results, and an explanation of possible causes for high or low. I always find it comforting to think that about 20% of all lab reports are wrong, as I blissfully assume that the errors are always in my favor. Too high, too low? No problemo -- lab error! :P

But any proactive person is going to try to find answers as soon as possible (if only for reassurance) and not want to bother the doctor over trivial matters...nor let it just slide on serious ones, either.

Maybe the idea is that this way, they'll force you to see the doctor for the results...even if there's nothing wrong. So I think I see a another doctor's consultation in your future. Unless someone else can yield more insight on this, let us know what you find out.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 KarenL

KarenL

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:47 AM

Hi,

I realize that reference ranges (what's 'normal') can vary, but what I usually do is google the reference range for example, " HCG reference range" and you can get a general idea. My lab always sends me theirs and anything abnormal is usually indicated in some way. But I always do my own research anyway. Good luck, I hope you get some answers.
Karen