Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Reflux meds

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:20 PM

Hi Everyone,

Gareth, too, is suffering from bad reflux. He is always complaining that his throat is sore and his stomach is 'on fire.' He's got the hard wedge foam plus another pillow. He's taking Zantac 150 at breakfast and suppertime and now the doctor wants to add Prilosec before he goes to bed. Do any of you take two different reflux meds....is this common? She ordered blood work to r/o an ulcer and wants him scheduled for an endoscopy. Thanks for the help.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#2 Cheryle

Cheryle

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:34 PM

Zantac did nothing for me. Prilosec was a little better, but as my reflux got worse, I started Nexium and I take two a day, just before breakfast and before dinner and it has helped tremendously. I thik it's not unusual for a doctor to prescribe 2 kinds of meds. Does Gareth stop eating long before he goes to bed?

I hope he will feel better soon.
Cheryle

#3 canon

canon

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:05 PM

Hi Margaret,

Sorry to hear Gareth is suffering so much from reflux. I can empathize and sympathize with Gareth. I am not a doctor but he might want to try the blocks under the head of his bed to see if that works better than the wedge. The articles I have read suggest at least 4 inch blocks. The zantac works differently than the way prilosec works. One tries to kind of neutalize the stomach acid and the other tries to keep acid production down. It sound like the doctor is going to give him a good check over. It must be so hard for you sometimes. You really do a great job in taking care of Gareth and yourself. You are so supportive of everyone here at the forum too. Hope this helped alittle.

With gentle thoughts.

Judy
A happy heart is good medicine.

#4 Sherion

Sherion

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:36 PM

Margaret,
I don't know how common it is but my G.I. doctor has me on Zantac and Nexium. I take the Nexium in the a.m. and before dinner. The Zantac is after dinner and at bedtime. I also take carafate 3 times a day but I don't know if thats for reflux.
Hope Gareth starts to feel better soon.

Sherion

#5 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:58 PM

Hi Margaret,
I also take Zantac in the morning with breakfast and Nexium in the evening at dinner time.

Take care
Celia

#6 KarenL

KarenL

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:46 AM

The only thing that helps me is Prevacid, one in the morning, one at night. Also the tiny meals rule and nothing, ever never after 6 PM except tiny sips of water. Easier said than done for a kid but it's the best remedy I know of.
Best of luck
Karen

#7 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

Hi ,

Thanks for the responses. It's good to know that others take multiple meds for reflux. We will wait to hear from the gastro doctor.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#8 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:32 PM

Hi Margaret:

I'm so sorry he's having to suffer so much with his reflux. I know how terrible it can be. When my has a bad flare it's like being burned alive from the inside out. I too take lots of meds for it to try and keep it tamed down so I don't have those terrible flares. I take aciphex and rantidine in the am and pm. I also take a liquid that I take two teaspoons at bed to coat my esophagus. If I have a flare, similar to what he's feeling like it's on fire, then I take a GI cocktail that numbs the esophagus and throat. When mine is on fire it's literally on fire and it actually burns my throat so bad that I'm horase the next day. It's lidocaine mixed with maalox. I don't know what I'd do without it. Before they gave me to have it at home I'd run to the ER and that's what they'd do there. It came to where I was going to the ER so much that my doctor thought I should have it here at home. Thank heavens too as when it happens the time it takes to get it at the ER is so long that it's more than a person can bear.

I wish him all the luck and keep on working with the doctors until he gets this tame down. I know that I am at the point where I don't eat anything past 7:00 and I watch so closely what I do eat.

Warm hugs,

Peggy

#9 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:09 AM

Hi Peggy ,

I remember reading about your cocktail for bed. Do you need a script for the Lidocaine? He's been sleeping through the nights for the past 2 nights after starting the Prilosec. So far, so good. This morning he said his throat was 'fine'. They haven't called about the GI appt yet but I will keep your cocktail in mind. Thanks again.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#10 smac0719

smac0719

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

Margaret,

I'm glad to hear Gareth has had some relief and my wish is that it continues. Both of you will be in my thoughts.
I may have Scleroderma, but Scleroderma doesn't have me!