Did you know that exercise increases inflammation in systemic sclerosis?

Photo

Plaquenil And Mood Swings?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kiwimum03

kiwimum03

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:04 PM

Hi everyone,

well I have been on the Plaquenil for not quite 2 weeks, and I am sooo short tempered.
My poor children, husband and mother, they are all trying to cope with me, which makes me feel terrible.

Can Plaquenil make you feel edgy??

I have a very short fuse, or no fuse at all, I can't tolerate it when the kids squabble, or are too noisy, and I am so exhausted, I could just lie down on the floor during the day, but have insomnia at night.

I wonder if I am still trying to recover after my withdrawl from the Prednisone?

I am still having liver and spleen pain (only mild) on and off during they day, and my fingers and feet and ankles are always mildly swollen during the day, everyday. (well right now my fingers are very swollen as I type)

I am going to see my general practitioner this week, not sure if she can help, maybe my BP is up?
I have been having lots of headaches, mostly an hour after I take the Plaquenil, but now I wake up with them during the night.

The twitch in my right eye is an ever constant annoyance, as it the dry eyes which seems to have come back with a vengence. I am going to definately see the Opthamologist about that.........if I can afford it. Sigh,

sorry this has turned into somewhat of a venting, pity party for one.

I had to smile though, my husband who has Schizophrenia told me to take one of his Mood Stabilizers............I guess I must be really grumpy.

Okay, my ramble has now stop, thanks for letting me carry on about nothing.

Hugs,
Irene (I think I am a bit down.......can you tell??)

#2 Tara

Tara

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:11 AM

I'm sorry you're having so many issues right now. When I was first diagnosed, my dr. put me on Plaquenil. However, I had EVERY side effect listed in the pharmacy brochure and even missed some work because of it (I NEVER miss work). I think I was only on it for about 2 weeks when we stopped it and I started Cell Cept. I don't know if that would be a good med for your specific condition, but I haven't had any side effects from it and I started it in March. It's worth talking to your dr. about.

#3 Elehos

Elehos

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:34 AM

Hi Irene,

I haven't taken either Pred or Plaquenil, but do know that switching abruptly from one med to another can do some nasty things. I was put on a med for insomnia that I later found out was an antidepressant, and getting switched from that one to another made me hallucinate and feel...inhuman. According to other members, coming of Pred can be difficult, and needs to be tapered very gradually. Adding another med immediately probably didn't help. Sorry you have to feel so horrible, and I hope you can get back to your doctor ASAP!

Best wishes,
Elehos

#4 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:18 AM

Hi Irene,

I am sorry you are experiencing such mood swings...no fun at all!! I was lucky in that I never experienced ANY side effects from the Plaquenil (at least not that I attributed to the medication). However, I have a friend who started taking Plaquenil and she said it made her feel awful....like she had the flu....so she stopped.

Please do call the doctor and find out what might be goin on. I hope you get some relief soon.

Warm wishes,
Heidi

#5 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:40 AM

Irene,
I am so sorry. I have never had a problem with Plaquenil. I do know that prednisone made me depressed when I was on it and wacky when I had withdrawal. I hope that you can see your doctor as soon as possible.
Take Care!
Nan

#6 jefa

jefa

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:01 PM

it does take a few weeks for the effects of plaquenil to show up. I eventually gave it up because of visual problems (to be fair, I might not have given it a full chance). Two doctors told me I did not give it enough time.

#7 kiwimum03

kiwimum03

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:06 PM

Hi everyone,

thanks so much for the swift replies, it really helps to get everyones perspectives.

I am feeling a bit better this morning in terms of mood, but I am completely wiped out, I might as well not have gotten out of bed. My mother and husband are pretty much looking after the kids.

I will see my doctor on Wednesday, and discuss what to do if anything about all of this, I am still thinking it may be my body adjusting after the Prednisone.

thanks so much you guys, you are a great help to me.

Hugs,
Irene

#8 emmie

emmie

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

Hi Irene,

I can only relate my experience...no problems at all with generic plaquenil. I didn't realize how helpful it was until I had to stop taking for a few months due to other problems. When I resumed, the dr. put me on brand name and I do fine with that as well.

The symptoms you describe are me while on 15mg of pred as a trial. I had told my rheumatologist I don't tolerate it well. So we eased into it: 3 days at 5mg, 3 days at 10mg then 15mg for 3 days and on to 20mg and hold. I did ok at 5; by day 3 of 10 I could tell things were probably going to go bad; by day 2 of 15, it was bad; by day 3, I was a raving, psychotic lunatic. I also did not fit into my clothes--I even found by track pants, etc tight. I am not exaggerating; I have my family as witnesses who will swear this is all true under oath! Needless to say, I did not go to 20mg.

In all honesty I cannot recall when the mental/emotional symptoms let up. I know that it took a couple of months for me to deflate (btw, it was mainly water retention. I was well aware of the potential to gain weight while on pred so I made sure to eat "right"; I was also still much more active at that time than I am now.)

Don't know if this helps you or not...but in my experience, prednisone can turn my into a my worst self having pms magnified by one thousand.

xoxo emmie

#9 WestCoast1

WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:24 AM

Irene,
I may be a little late on this one as you have recieve lots of great advice already, but I have heard of those very side effects before. My friend took Plaquenil for Lupus a few years ago and she warned me before I started on it that she was so moody and edgy....she was taken off of it right away because it was so severe.

It never effected me as badly, so everyone is different, but you are not alone and you should be very careful that the mood swings dont go too far and become out of controle, maybe there is another medication that will work better for you if the side effects dont subside.

~
*WestCoast*

#10 kiwimum03

kiwimum03

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:06 PM

Thanks Emmie and Erin for sharing your experiences, I honestly can take all the advice I can get.

I think my moods are subsiding a little, but I am still totally wiped out, boy, I thought I was exhausted before, but I am totally exhausted now!!!

I am retaining fluid like there is no tomorrow, I have put on about 5kgs in the last month, I am sure it is a lot of fluid, as I didn't really eat much more when on the Prednisone.
I woke up this morning to my right elbow and upper arm being quite swollen, to my mothers horror.
And my fingers and feet are still getting quite swollen during the day.

My liver pains are actually quite a lot worse. I am annoyed my doctor is still closed today, if the pain gets worse tonight I may have to go to the ER, grrr, but I will probably just have to sit there and wait for ages, I may as well wait until my doctor opens tomorrow.

I am sure the Pred has mucked up my liver and of course the Plaquenil will be filtering through too.

Okay, my rant is over, thanks so much again.

Hugs,
Irene

#11 Guest_Sherrill_*

Guest_Sherrill_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:25 PM

Hi Irene,

I can understand your concern over all the recent things happening to you! I was offered Plaquenil by the first rheumatologist I saw, but partly because I wasn't impressed with him, I refused it.

The second rheumatologist I saw offered me Prednisone, and I tried it for a few weeks, but it made me feel dreadful, so I weaned myself off it. (Short story).

I can't say I felt very good before taking the Prednisone, but when I started taking it I just crashed! That was while I was still on it, and I guess I'll never know really if it was the Prednisone, or the sclero which was making me feel so bad. But I DO understand the wiped out feeling. I had that for a long time, and still get it when I overdo things, or even when I don't overdo things! :(

So it is possible that the wiped out feeling you have may be the disease process, and not any of the meds. Though I'm not saying it isn't, but just a possibility.

The fluid retention is not good! Not good for BP or kidneys. You may need a diuretic, so I hope you can see the doctor ASAP! The liver pains are also not good. If you have to go to the ER so be it. It's worth waiting to find out what is going on.

I've had my episodes with the ER in Auckland......... about 6 times I think, and often in the middle of the night, with once by ambulance! Sometimes I've been there hours, though they usually get me to a bed quickly, as I'm in a wheelchair, and all the times I went I was in bad pain with peritonitis! I found out very quickly not to minimize the pain, as you get attention quicker if you let them know how bad it is. My first time I was asked what scale my pain was, and I said about 5, so I didn't see anyone for some time after that. Next time I said 8 to 9, which was true, and I got the attention!!

Even though I had to wait, they did sort me out in the end. So go if you need to.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

#12 kiwimum03

kiwimum03

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for your reply Sherrill, I always look forward to your advice.

I saw my general practitioner yesturday, and she ordered some Liver and Renal labs, which I now have to wait for the results.
In the meantime she told me to stop the Plaquenil as it can cause liver disturbances.

My BP was amazingly good at 125/85..........which for me is amazing, I had been wondering why I was a bit lightheaded after getting up. I am not used to my BP being in a normal range

She wants to see if my headaches, vision issues and moodswings go away over 2 weeks, and of course make sure my liver is okay before going back on the Plaquenil.

I asked if the previous Prednisone could still be causing me problems but she didn't seem to think so, and she also said mood swings were not listed as a side effect of Plaquenil, but of course she was reading off a piece of paper and not personal experiences.....thank goodness for everyone here to share theirs with me!!!

I am still EXTREMELY exhausted, and she thought that it was perhaps disease progression..........whatever disease I may have.

So for now, I am off the Plaquenil for 2 weeks, hopefully my liver and kidneys are okay. If I can't take Plaquenil any suggestions what else may be good for inflammation and arthritis.......not to mention fatigue??

My right elbow and arm are VERY swollen, and I had a bubbling sensation going through my elbow last night. Kind of like when you get a twitch in your nerve, but it kept going up and down across my elbow, very annoying.

Thanks for listening.

Hugs,
Irene

#13 kiwimum03

kiwimum03

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:38 PM

Another quick update.

The doctor just phoned and said my liver enzymes are up and to defintately stop the Plaquenil. I am so disappointed, I am not sure where to go from here.

My rheumatologist is not back until the 15th, he was hoping the Plaquenil wouldn't cause any problems.

I wasn't home when my general practitioner called so I don't know which enzymes and what the levels are. I will have to wait until she is back in on Monday to find all of that out.

Hugs,
Irene

#14 Guest_Sherrill_*

Guest_Sherrill_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:31 PM

Hi Irene,

I'm glad you managed to see the doctor. It's a pity about the Plaquenil, but if it's the reason for your raised liver enzymes you are better off without it!

I don't think you have any option now except to wait till the rheumatologist comes back. The 15th is not too far away!

Do let us know what figures the enzymes were in the blood test.