Tuesday's Chat times: 1am UK / 8pm USA Eastern time / 7pm USA Pacific time/ 6pm USA Mountain time/ 7pm USA Central time and Wednesday 2am in Melbourne, Australia. Do visit the Chat Room and join us!!

Photo

Throat Muscle Spasms

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 akchrist

akchrist

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

I have been getting these spasms almost like a charlie horse feeling in the front throat area. It hurts really bad and have a hard time breathing when it happens. It only lasts about 30 seconds but I have been getting them more often. I have to push hard on my throat or my husband has to help me do it until it stops. I can't talk and my tongue is sometimes involved. Does anyone else get these and/or do you know what it is called?

#2 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hi akchrist ,

My son use to get esophageal spasms that really hurt.....some say they feel like a heart attack. His doctor wrote a script for nitro pills.....the kind pts take when they feel they are having a heart attack. They worked really well for him. Are they spasms or food getting stuck from esophageal dysmotility?

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#3 canon

canon

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hi,

Your throat spasms sound very painful. There are valve like muscles on different areas of your esophagus and probably any could be affected especially if you have reflux problems. I have esophageal spasms but with chest pain that radiates to the throat, jaw, teeth and arms. There are 2 types of spasms. I also have reflux which irritates my larynx and causes difficulty breathing but it is not painful for me. Panicky but not painful. The reflux partially paralyzed my larynx but is clearing somewhat. It would probably be safer to have a doctor check that out since it affects your breathing and is so painful. The esophagus is very delicate and other structures too.

With gentle thoughts,

Judy
A happy heart is good medicine.

#4 Lyn

Lyn

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:12 AM

Sometimes my throat spasms hurt so much, they feel like a very painful hard hiccup that just won't finish... like I am stuck in the 'hic' of the hiccup! It does feel like everything just stops, and then it finally eases after about a minute or so. Never figured out why it happens. Sorry to hear you have this. Lyn

#5 jaateach

jaateach

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:26 AM

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of mitochondrial myopathy? I was diagnosed with PSS in 06. After diagnosis I continued to have severe muscle cramping and weakness, including throat and muscles all the way down to groin area. I'm a teacher and the muscles in throat would really ache after talking too much. So doctor checked me for mito disease which came back positive. It is a muscle disorder. Sorry I don't have website at the ready. I was sent out to University of California at Irvine. They specialize in mito stuff. I was told there they they are seeing a lot of mito/sclero stuff. They actually are thinking that the mito was first and caused the sclero. This does not jive in my head, sclero will always be my first love.

Anyhow, I don't post often, though I do enjoy reading all the posts.

Joe

#6 brstamper

brstamper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:09 AM

I have the same thing happen to me on occasion except the pain also radiates to my back. It's very painful and scary. I never went to a doctor, so I don't know what's going on. If this happened all the time I would get it checked out. I feel for you...