Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Arm and leg pain

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 georgette

georgette

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if others have a similar symptom. My arms and legs are stiff and sore all the time and it can make simple tasks difficult, but when I am sleeping they are at their worst.

I am aware of the pain through my sleeping time even when I dream the pain factor is in my dreams too. I cannot just turn over in bed as my arms and legs hurt so much I have to half wake up and plan how to turn my body over, ya know what I mean, which limb hurts the least type of thing. And by the time I wake in the morning I cannot just get out of bed I have to slowly start to move each arm and leg through this awful pain until I can manage to sit up. Once I am eventually up and I start moving again the pain goes back to its normal stiffness and soreness which is manageable not excruciating like what I get when my body is at rest.

Its so puzzling as I would have thought the opposite would happen if you are resting the pain should subside, but that is not my experience. Do others get this too?

Hugs,
georgette

#2 ozzy69

ozzy69

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

Hi Georgette,

I don't know why, but I too have a lot of pain sleeping. I don't have it as much in my legs but it is really bad in my arms and elbows. I also have dreams about it. It drives me crazy. I wake up and have to sit up and I can't get comfortable. I get really hot at night and it makes me sick to my stomach. Between the pain in my arms and night sweats it is hard to get good sleep.

I guess it has to be the disease. My doctor never says much about it. I believe it has to do with my circulation, and lying down restricts it. I also know that if I use my arms a lot during the day, they hurt more that night.

I hope it gets better for you!

Hugs,
Nina Lynn

#3 canon

canon

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:17 PM

Georgette,

I too have the same problem. It isn't an easy thing to deal with and I can only take acetaminophen for it which does not work well. When it is intolerable I get up and walk a little and move my arms. The stretching seems to help. The same thing will happen if I sit for too long. Resting has become an enemy sometimes. Sorry I don't have a solution and sorry you are in so much discomfort.

With gentle thoughts,

Judy
A happy heart is good medicine.

#4 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

Hi Georgette,
I also can sympathise with you, my pain and stiffness is also getting beyond a joke. I am stiff in the ankes,achilles tendons, feet, it has also progressed to my lower back and hips. I also get terrible joint and muscle pain, mainly in my legs. I take pain meds for this as well as amitriptyline (Endep in Australia) for depression. It also has a pain killer in it and promotes me to get into the deep sleep cycle. My rheumatologist mentioned that having Scleroderma, it can affect the way you sleep. I could have 12 hours sleep a night and wake up exhausted as my sleeping patterns had been all altered and I wasn't getting into the deep sleep cycle. I shall mention it when I go to Monash in a couple of weeks time. I have also noticed that when I don"t sleep well, in the morning my pain seems to be a lot worse. This last week I have felt as though I have been beaten in the chest area it is so sore in the bone area.

I hope you find some relief soon and know that you are not alone in all of this.

Take care
Celia

#5 Sam

Sam

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:05 AM

I too have pain in my sleep I also take Lyrica for it and also Prozac seems to help it too. If I don't take my medications I hurt all night. At least I can get a good night sleep every other night. You might want to mention this to your doctor. I'm not saying that my pain is gone completely by taking the medications at night, but it does help some. Sam
Sam

#6 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:46 AM

This has been the one thing, as well as the terrible fatigue, that I have really struggled with. I know what you mean when you say it hurts at night. I too wake up and have to get up, if I can, and walk around as my legs hurt so bad. My pain is so bad all of the time that I have had to wear a pain patch and also take the pain meds in addition. I have been trying IVIG to see if it would help and unfortunately so far it hasn't. I plan on going into detail about this with my new doctor that I see in February. I am anxious to see what he says being he will be looking at everything new for me as opposed to my prior doctor. The pain all of the time gets really hard to do things and it's all you think about.

Warm hugs,

Peggy

#7 georgette

georgette

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:48 AM

well thankyou all for your replies , this sclero is a real gem to live and sleep with eh ? I must say thou it still puzzels me as to why it would get worse when you are actually resting those inflamed muscles , during the day time my muscle pain is about a four or five out of ten but at night they can get to a eight or nine out of ten ...... the fatigue from sclero actually works in my favor as I sleep right thru all the pain never a deep sleep as I am too conscious of the pain but sleep non the less , does anyone know if this muscle pain gets better the more you walk thru th day or the more you rest thru the day .......hugs georgette

#8 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:16 PM

Hi Georgette,
I know with me, I am mostly active throughout the day, even if I have trouble breathing, I will do some chores then rest for 10-15 minutes and so on. I know the pain is there but because I am mostly busy, with a 4 year old , I don't dwell on it. The pain finally hits me around 4pm, most days, and I struggle to get dinner, bath done for my son. Around 7pm when he is in bed, I practically collapse on the couch and thats usually when I take my pain meds. Luckily my husband does the dinner dishes :rolleyes: for me. There is no way I could sleep with the pain, it is like a nagging toothace 50 times worse, in all my joints and muscles.

I think If I were to do not much during the day time, I wouldn't have the muscular joint pain, but the stiffness would be so bad. It's a no win situation, I don't take pain meds during the day time, as I like to be alert especially if I am driving a car.

Hope this has helped some.

Celia

#9 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:16 PM

I was told by my doctors that the pain is worse at night for us because we are at rest and are more aware of the pain than when we are active during the day. During our rest our muscles are at work giving us pain for all the stress we have put on them throughout the day. Hope this helps.

Warm hugs,

Peggy

#10 georgette

georgette

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:08 AM

oh wow I so "tips me hat" to all you sclero effected mothers with young kiddies to chase around after , I just dont know how you do it ! sclero is a nasty syndrome to have but if I had to get it then I feel glad that I got it in my fifties ,after I had raised up my family. My heart goes out to all you young ones and particulary you young mums ............. what you all posted has set me to thinking that I am going to set up a day ,perhaps next saturday where I spend the whole day in bed resting and just watching TV ,and I am going to take note as to how different the arm leg pain gets ......... peggy did your doctor tell you what is actually happening to those muscles ? are they tightening like our skin or inflamed or ......... hugs georgette

#11 Peggy

Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

The way he explained it is that the rest of our body is "at rest" and the muscles then can have full rein and attention and we are so much more keenly aware that they hurt. They then are also contracting and restriciting from whatever activity we put them through that particular day. I do know that when I'm at rest that I am more aware of my aches and pains and it makes sense. But I also seem to be "at rest" alot these days due to the terrible fatigue and just not having very much energy for much else and being so limited on what I can do.

Warm hugs,

Peggy

#12 susie54

susie54

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:39 AM

I know this sounds crazy but twice this has worked for me with horrible pain in legs and arms. I feel as though I can barely move them in the morning and by evening I just feel like a stiff board, even after stretching for 20 minutes a day. IT JUST HAPPENS> So after a month of this, I refilled my tizanidine (muscle relaxer. ) I have taken two a night before bed. It is now the fourth day I have been on it and I am beginning to really see the results. I mean a real difference in the pain. This has worked for me before and I think this time it proves it for me.
The muscles must contract and get tight all day and the pain come from these contractions.Tizanidine loosens that up during the night and WOW for me there is such a difference. I went swimming with no pain this morning. Susie54 I have MCTD

#13 shennen0820

shennen0820

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

I also suffer from pain in my elbows and shoulders when trying to sleep...I don't know about anyone else but I like to sleep either on my stomach or side and when doing so it puts pressure on my elbows and shoulders which causes so much pain and I am constantly tossing and turning all night long, never mind attempting to sleep with enough pillows for under each arm and shoulder! I have been taking a prescriptin painreliever and and an otc anti-inflammatory before bed and it does seem to help...I try to take it when I have had like one or two very bad nights and need to get sleep! I think that when we are sleeping because our joints are not being used they just stiffen up and that is worse then during the day when we are using them...WHO KNOWS.
Shennen