Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Methotrexate

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:34 PM

My mom is taking methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis (RA). She is supposed to take 3 at a time. Is it okay to space it out a few hours? The pharmacist was not much help.

Thanks

#2 Purr

Purr

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:01 PM

When I was taking 6 pills once a week, my doctor told me I could space them out any way I wanted to as long as I took all of them in that 1 day. Now I'm up to the maximum dosage which is 25 mg. I give myself a subcutaneous injection once a week.

Hope this helps.

Christy
Love makes the world go around!

#3 canon

canon

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:00 PM

Hi Clem,

Have been taking methotrexate for a number of years and the doctor has never suggested taking it in divided doses but that doesn't mean it is never done. It would be worth asking the rheumatologist about it. I had GI trouble taking the pills so the doctor switched me to the injection and have not had any other problems so far. Does it bother your mom's stomach? It is a once a week shot and some rheumatologist will give it in the office if need be.

With gentle thoughts,

Judy
A happy heart is good medicine.

#4 Helen

Helen

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:29 PM

Hi Clem

I take 25mg once a week. My rheumatologist told me to take 15mg in the morning and 10mg at night...then 5mg Folic Acid 3 days later.
I haven't had any trouble with it.

Helen

#5 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:59 AM

Thanks gals. My mom took one 2/5, then waited a few hours and took the other two. She just started so she's on a low dose. She didn't have any problems with it.
Thank you so much!
Clem