Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Pain in neck..literally

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 annkd

annkd

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:21 AM

This may or may not have anything to do with scleroderma (I have Sclero/cross over lupus and fibro) but for the past month I have been experiencing a very sharp pain on the left side of my neck. It's as if something is poking at it. It burns and stings. It goes on rather constantly. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be? Many thanks. -Ann

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:55 AM

Hi Ann,

A sharp pain that doesn't go away, with burning and stinging, is definitely something to see your doctor about. Please see them and let us know what you find out.

I've had similar things caused by pinched nerves or strained muscles in my neck. If I use a hot pack and then stretch my neck, very gently, for about half an hour (one side, then the other), I can usually work it out. Once it got so bad my whole left arm was numb and useless for several days. My doctor ordered an MRI but before then I was able to "cure" it before then with a very long neck stretch...while at the computer (one-handed), so I didn't even have any down time over it. <LOL>

Usually I think of stretching in terms of a few seconds or minutes, but with a real pain in the neck, I've found it necessary to just keep on (gently!) stretching for as long as it takes. (Children, do not try this trick at home. This is not intended as medical advice. Use at your own risk. And my favorite warning of all: Do not use this hair dryer while sleeping!)
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.