Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Interstitial Lung Disease

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aniwallar

aniwallar

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hi:

I haven't post anything for a long time even though I try to get in this site often. One of the things I find so helpful is how there are always answers to our questions. You never feel alone in this site.

So, I have another question.....I just had a CT scan last Friday. That same evening the doctor call me to tell me that it showed Interstitial Lung Disease. I know this is not a good thing, and my last doctor told me that ILD doesn't always have a good prognosis.

I have been all over the internet trying to find info about it. The problem is that I only find what I don't want to read. Finally, yesterday I found a site that says that sometimes ILD doesn't progress in people with scleroderma.

I need to know what I should expect in the future. I know it is different for everyone, but just in general. I also would like to know other people experiences with ILD.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Ani
P.S. How is peanut doing? I don't see her in here anymore.

#2 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:48 AM

Hi Ani,
Try not to panic. I have had ILD for a few years now, 4 or 5 and it hasn't progressed that much. I don't need oxygen or any thing else to help me along. I tried chemo and that stopped the progression for a year and half and I have had some minor changes here and there. So for me, at this point, it is okay. Obviously things could always be better but they could always be worse as well. :)

Stay positive! Is your doctor going to put you on anything?

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#3 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:24 AM

Hi Ani,

I'm sorry you have ILD and send my best wishes to you.

I have fibrosis on the bases of both lungs, which shows up clearly even on x-ray. But it was only caught long after the damage had occurred and it has not progressed, so I've never had any treatment for it. I've known people who have had initial damage but then never progressed and others who have had it suddenly reactivate after 10 or 20 years.

As with nearly every aspect of scleroderma, the course of the illness and symptoms really varies a lot by individuals. What matters most is that you have it monitored as often as your doctor recommends and consider treatments, if and when they advise it.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#4 kellyA

kellyA

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:55 AM

Hello

Mine was caught early ILD, in fact an X-ray showed nothing and another doctor ordered a CT scan because she though she heard something in my lungs it was caught so early that there is no damage to the lungs, I did chemo for 1 year and it is stabilized for now. Don't make yourself crazy, however my doctor recommends a 6 month CT scan to check any changes and catch them early.

KellyA

Diagnosed about 2 years ago with sclero and lupus..

#5 pieski

pieski

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:18 PM

Hi,
I also have ILD and that is how my sclero was diagnosed. I had 9 months of IV cyclophosphamide which stopped the progress for about 2 years. I have gotten worse lately and was just started on cellcept. Hang in there.

~ Teresa~

#6 Candace

Candace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

A little over 2 years ago I was diagnosed with ILD (UIP by lung biopsy\NSIP by radiograph) associated with SSC characterized by +anti-Scl 70 Ab, Raynaud's and mild sclerodactyly. To date my lung fibrosis has not progressed; in fact, my PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) results indicate that my capacity has actually improved.

I am doing very well and have every reason to believe that I will continue to thrive and live life to its fullest. I like to think I am one of the lucky ones who has a slow progressing form of lung fibrosis.

#7 aniwallar

aniwallar

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. It is always scary when we get diagnosed with something else. It feels good to know that there are people out there with the same disease that hasn't progress. I hope I am one of those people.

Some of you tell me about chemo for a year even thought the disease was diagnosed early. Is chemo and IV cyclophosphamide the same thing?

Thanks again for being there,

Ani Wallar

#8 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:18 PM

Hi Ani,
Yup, they are the same.

Hugs,