Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Being Reviewed After Receiving Ssd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sarahp

Sarahp

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:50 AM

I received SSD in 11/2004 on the first try. My award letter said I would be reviewed in 3 to 5 years.

I would love to hear from anyone who has gone through the review process. What can I expect and has anybody been denied?

Thanks,
Sarah

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

Hi Sarah,

For an SSDIB review, you can expect for them to request the records from all of the doctors that you have seen recently. They will also want to know if you've been working and if so, how many hours per week and how much you are earning. You can still work up to 20 hours per week and earn up to a certain amount (usually about $800 a month) while keeping your benefits, provided you are still sick/disabled.

You can also earn an unlimited amount of money for 9 months or so (the 9 months all need to be within a 5-year span) and still keep your monthly benefits, in their trial work program.

Basically they want to know if you are still sick, or if you have happened to have enjoyed a complete cure and returned to a good paying job full time, without letting them know. You might need to see a doctor of their choice to review your case, or they might be able to handle all of it by mail.

Provided you're not healthy as a horse and working full-time, you probably don't have a thing in the world to worry about. So just relax, fill out the paperwork with the doctors names and addresses right away, and kiss your worries goodbye when you put it in the mail. Stress over disability is just not worth it, as it can worsen all sorts of symptoms; and they are hopeful that you will improve by not working, and not worsen over worries about the benefits.

As many people here have discovered, its quite a hurdle to get benefits in the first place. Once people have overcome that, they quite rightfully figure you really and truly are very sick, either chronically or terminally, and thus they tend to act more like your advocate to maintain benefits (provided you are still qualified, of course!) than an evil overseer that is trying to swipe them away.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 Sherion

Sherion

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:32 PM

Sarah, I went through the review process for my disabiliy. They want to know when you went to the doctors, what for, what were the results, what tests you've had, why and results, have you been in the hospital, when and why. Just a ton of questions. Just be sure to keep track of all your appointments, tests,etc. I had to add seperate pages for all my appointments. They may want your doctor to give his prognosis of your health. They just want to make sure that you're still disabled. It was a tense waiting period until thy told me I would continue getting checks, but I knew that I was not getting better healthwise. Don't worry too much just keep track of everything.

Sherion

#4 Sarahp

Sarahp

Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:46 PM

Thanks Shelley and Sherion for your replies.

I have long term disabity through my last employer also. I am reviewed yearly for that. My last review was 8/2006. The paper work was started 4 months before that date. rheumatologist said I was disabled for any job and she did not feel I could do any job because of my illness. She had to fill out a paper and have supporting documentation. Then the company requested recods from all my doctors for the past year.

I had to fill out several pages of paperwork. I know it is necessary to make sure you are really disabled. I knew I had nothing to worry about about but I still worried until I got the decision.

If I can get approved yearly by my long term disability I am sure I will have no trouble with the SSDI review.

Sarah

#5 Elehos

Elehos

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hi Sarah,

It has been a while, so I had to think for several hours to see if anything came to mind. At one point I know that Social Security requested info from my doctors, and that was a few years after being approved, but I don't remember them asking me anything. Since the damage was increasing, they realized this was a permanent disability case and haven't reviewed me again that I can recall. The only thing that turns up on a yearly basis is a form to fill out for my son since he gets a pittance due to my disability and I'm the beneficiary. They simply want to make sure that the money is being used for him and not bingo or lotto :lol:

Please don't worry about this review, especially if your doctor has good, ongoing records since this is typical, and after the review they will have even more evidence on your behalf.

Best wishes to you,
Elehos