Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Oral Contraceptives And Scleroderma

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jennifer_*

• Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:15 AM

Is anyone aware of any reason why we should not be taking oral contraceptives if we have systemic scleroderma? I've yet to see the gynocologist and will find out next week but wanted to know your thoughts and if it's safe.

#2 Elehos

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

Hi Jennifer,

I've never been told anything about that, but the only thing that comes to mind is possible heart problems and increased risk of strokes or kidney problems since oral contraceptives can raise blood pressure. I have taken one particular low dose "pill" to get my periods back on track, but since it was only for a week or two at a time, perhaps that was why nothing came up. I'll be seeing my gyno very soon and will certainly ask!

Best wishes to you,

#3 Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:48 PM

Hi Jennifer,

I have been taking oral contraceptives for 10 1/2 years now. My general practitioner has repeatedly told me that the risk of being on these contraceptives is far less then the risk of getting pregnant with my CTD. Just one opinion....

Warm wishes,

#4 Claudia-DR

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:03 AM

Hi Jennifer:

This is one of the questions I first asked Dr. Wigley when I had my 1st. appointment with him 3 years. ago (I was still married then).

He said it was safe to use oral contraceptives. I asked him if there was any specific brand I should consider and he said I should take that up directly with my gyno.

Hope this helps!