Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Pulled Something In My Leg

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HeatherT

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:52 AM

Hi all,
The other day I pulled something (tendon, ligament?) in my leg and it still hurts. I used to run a lot and have treated many sore muscles, ligaments and tendons but am hesitant to slap on the old frozen bag of peas and pop the Ibuprofen now that I have Scleroderma. Has anyone had success nursing an injury successfully?

Thanks for the advice!

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

Please keep in mind that I'm not a doctor and I have no medical training at all. It's my understanding that as long as the injured area itself isn't prone to Raynaud's, and as long as there is no other reason not to take Ibuprofen, you should be able to nurse any injury along as you used to do.

For example, I broke my ankle and immediately elevated it, took pain meds and applied ice, until we could get to the hospital. My toes are very prone to Raynaud's but at that moment, an attack of Raynaud's or heartburn from the meds would have been the least of my worries, but I was still careful not to put the ice directly on my toes.

If I had a badly broken a toe, I probably still would have rather reluctantly applied ice in an effort to contain the swelling -- just long enough to get to the hospital -- but not if I had any active ulcers there at the moment (since it would be a worse reaction and perhaps precipitate gangrene; thus swelling would be less of a problem than complications of the ulcer.)

It's always a bit of a trade-off. So try doing what you usually do if its a minor injury, using your common sense about it, and don't hesitate to consult a doctor for advice.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:49 AM

Hi Heather,
I have had many injuries since my diagnosis of scleroderma. Most of them I have nursed by myself. Now, 14 years after my diagnosis I am finding that it is definately taking longer to heal. Although this could just have something to do with my age. ;)

I did go to my general practitioner back in September because my knee filled up fluid and after a week I just couldn't walk anymore. He put me on prednisone for a week and as soon as I finished it filled up again. I opted for them to drain it and give me a cortisone shot because I was going on vaca. That lasted two weeks before it filled up again, then another round of prednisione and finally it felt better. Well this weekend my lower thigh and knee started hurting again.....

I think you know your body best. Just be prepared for things to take a little longer than usual.

Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)