Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Swallowing problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 living linda

living linda

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

I have had swallowing problems for years. I have my esophagus stretched usually every six months to a year, and that usually works well right away. But, I had the stretching done recently and felt no improvement afterwards. In fact it seems worse. I am curious as to why? I don't know whether to call the doctor or not. I had a bad experience there. I told the out-patient clinic beforehand that I was a hard one to stick but they didn't listen and I threw them behind. The doctor appeared somewhat ticked off about it. But, I had warned them! Now I am thinking maybe he hurriedly did my procedure and didn't do a good job. He has been my doctor. for years and I have never had a bad experience before. Any suggestions? By the way, I have trouble eating out because the restaurants are usually so cool. I always have a sweater, but I still will choke easily. I have found that if I drink hot decaf coffee I have less problems swallowing and the hot mug keeps my fingers warm!

#2 razz

razz

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

Hi living linda,

Sorry to hear your esophageal stretching this time around didn't improve your swallowing. Did you mention this to your doctor? I am not medically trained in any way but I would agree with you that if the doctor felt rushed and was behind schedule he may have performed the procedure quickly. There could be other possible reasons why you haven't felt any improvement but I would definitely call your doctor so he is aware that you are not feeling relief. I am sure he wouldn't mind seeing you again to determine what course of action he should recommend.

Great ideas on using the hot coffee mug for a dual purpose! I try to remember to bring a sweater or light jacket with me where ever I go, especially in the summer when the air conditioning is turned on so high in buildings. If I forget I'm shivering and turning lovely shades of red, white and blue. :(

Keep us posted!

Hugs,
Razz
Live well, Laugh often, Love much

#3 Cheryle

Cheryle

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

Linda,
I urge you to call your doctor and let him know you don't feel the same after this treatment, that it didn't help.

I am just starting to have swallowing problems, it's mild so far. I am one of the few lucky ones.... I do not have Raynaud's. I hope it stays that way.

Please let us know what your doctor says.
Cheryle

#4 relicmom1

relicmom1

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:42 AM

I agree that you should call or see your doctor. I, too, have to have the stretching done every year (or just about). One time it didn't last but a few months and it was becaause he didn't stretch it as far as he usually does, thinking that it would be ok...well, it wasn't and I had to have it done again.
Peace :)
Barbara aka relicmom1

#5 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:46 AM

Hi Linda,

Definitely go back to the doctor and explain that the last stretching didn't take. Sometimes they just don't do it quite right and need to be done over. Or perhaps its time for you to have another scope done. Another possibility is that you may have had some swelling due to a too-quick stretch. If so, that should subside in a few days, don't you think? So if it is still not feeling right, please see them again. And let us know how things go.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.