Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Hyperparathyroidism

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ozzy69

ozzy69

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:05 AM

Hi everyone,

My mother has been having lots of joints and muscle pain. She went to the emergency room about two weeks ago because her leg was bothering her so much. They did some test and then gave her pain meds and told her to see her doctor. She followed up with her doctor and her blood work showed high calcium. The doctor called and said he thought it was her Parathyroid gland. He wants her to see a surgeon. My mother does not have sclero. I have been trying to find out as much information as I can about Parathyroid diseases because I want her know all her options. Has anyone had any problems with this. If you have what was the outcome. My mother lives six hours away and I get so worried about her. I wish I was there to take her to her doctor's appointments.

Thanks,
Nina

#2 lynne09

lynne09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:13 AM

I have hyperparathryoidism, along with CREST, fibromyalgia, and Sjogren's. My experience is they do a nuclear scan - you have to lie still for the scan but it wasn't a big deal. The scan shows if one of the parathyroid glands (there are 4) are enlarged. If so then a surgeon will remove that gland and the calcium returns to normal. Her doctor may also want to do a 24 hour urine collection which identifies how much calcium is spilling into the bladder. Hyperparathryroidism can cause osteoporosis due to bone calcium loss. So you do want her to pursue this. I didn't have an enlarged parathyroid gland but the surgeon wanted to check anyway so I did the surgery and they removed one gland but it hasn't made a difference to my blood calcium levels which are high normal to low high and my parathyroid hormone levels which are high. The surgery was an overnight stay but a lot of them are outpatient only. However, my case was pretty abnormal and probably reflects my autoimmune whacked out body - nothing is normal with us folks!

#3 ozzy69

ozzy69

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:12 AM

Lynne,

Thanks so much for your reply! My last couple blood tests have showed high calcium but my doctor has not said anything to me about it. My mom has an appointment on Tuesday of next week.

Thanks again,
Nina