Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Livedo reticularis

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:48 AM

Hello,

Does anyone have livedo reticularis, primary or secondary? If so, would you mind messaging me?

Clem

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:37 AM

Hi Clem,

I wouldn't say I "have" livedo reticularis, but rather that I've had it occasionally. However I was completely unaware of it (it seemed normal enough to me) but doctors noted it in exams. I get it around my knees, which is also where my skin tightening is the worst. Also I'm sure it blossoms in the doctors office sometimes because they use walk-in freezers for exam rooms. :blink:

I also have antiphospholipid syndrome, which can cause livedo reticularis. All it ever does is cause my knees or legs to have sort of a lacy blue/purple "rash" but it's not a rash rash (not bumpy or itchy) and it is not painful at all. To the best of my knowledge, absolutely nothing needs to be done about it, except doctors will supposedly try to see if there is an underlying cause. I say "supposedly" because I've seen it noted in my chart from exams but it seems to be insignificant enough that the doctors didn't mention anything about it to me. But of course, I'm not a doctor, I have no medical training at all, but I have really interesting knees sometimes.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 jenee

jenee

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

Hi,

My primary doctor noticed the Livedo Reticularis in my legs and arms much like Shelley. It is a lacey rash, look up Lacey rash on the internet.

Anyhow, I am being tested for the numerous antibodies to antiphospholipid syndrome. I haven't been diagnosed with APS yet, that is what antiphospholipid syndrome is called.

The rash is harmless and doesn't really look scary or bad just something a doctor would notice :) However, the problem with APS is clots, which can be harmful.

I am not on Birth Control as Estrogen can make an event like a clot more likely, it is kinda like not taking caffeine with Raynaud's.

To get the full diagnosis you need two blood test ( six weeks apart) that are positive, and a event like a Deep Vein Thrombosis or a clot elsewhere or multiple miscarriages.

Shelley did you have evidence of a clot? or Miscarriages?

Hope that helps. Oh, I believe the antibodies for APS is one of the diagnosis criteria for Lupus.

I would look up Lupus on the internet you might find more info.

Jen