Jump to content

Hang onto your hat: Sclero Forums Upgrade May 14-21, 2017!! The Forums will be offline for up to 4 days, and then will return with an entirely new look and feel.


Chiropodists in Northern Ireland

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 angelaec67



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:35 AM


Can anyone recommend a chiropodist / podiatrist in N.Ireland who has experience of treating someone with systemic scleroderma?

Thanks and best wishes

#2 Amanda Thorpe

Amanda Thorpe

    Platinum Plus Member

  • ISN Senior Support Specialist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts
  • Location:U.K.

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:14 AM

Hello Angela

Welcome to this forum!

I don't personally know of anyone to recommend but had a though who you could ask. What about asking a rheumatology department/rheumatology nurse as they may well may be able to recommend someone, feet being problematic in scleroderma.

Our Scleroderma Society U.K. has the details of a number of rheumatologists familiar with scleroderma and there may be one local to you. Have a look at the list on that website, once there click on "click here to download the current list" and you'll be taken to it.

I do hope this proves a fruitful search and let me know if you have any problems with accessing the list.

Take care.
Amanda Thorpe
ISN Sclero Forums Senior Support Specialist
ISN Video Presentations Manager
ISN Blogger

(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager

(Retired) ISN Email Support Specialist
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#3 angelaec67



  • Topic Starter
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:30 AM

Hi Amanda

Thanks for your 3 responses to my queries.


#4 lizzie


    Senior Silver Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Location: UK

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

Hi Angela, I think there will be quite a number of chiropodists who would be able to treat someone with systemic sclerosis if they perform diabetic footcare. All people who have diabetes need to see a chiropodist for footcare as injuries sto the feet may lead to infection and gangrene, similar to people with systemic sclerosis. I would suggest that a good place to ask about experienced chiropodists is your general practitioner practice. Most practices will have someone (often a practice nurse) who has responsibility fo care of diabetic patients and they should be able to point you in the direction of a good chiropodist.