Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Loose Teeth

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sadie20

sadie20

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:09 PM

I have diffuse sclero. So far I am dealing pretty well with the problems, but the latest new thing has me really worried..does anyone else have loose teeth?? Almost all of my upper permanent teeth are loose?!! I started noticing a couple of weeks ago that my two front teeth were occasionally slightly aching, but didn't think much of it. Anyway, had an appt with my rheumatologist the other day and she said she had never heard of any association of this problem with sclero or the immunosuppressive drugs. Anyone else?? Thanks.
PS We are FINALLY going to get some snow tomorrow here in Ohio..I let my hubby buy a snowblower last year so I can only justify it if we get to use it at least once!! Ha!

#2 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:31 PM

Hi,

I don't have any personal experience with this, but I know others on the board have written about it and I am sure they will chime in shortly. In the meantime, here is our section from the Sclero A to Z website on dental involvement.
I hope you find some helpful information.

Warm wishes,
Heidi

#3 Guest_Jennifer_*

Guest_Jennifer_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:18 AM

Sadie,
I love your name...that is what I named one of my dogs.

Sometimes my teeth get loose too. It has not happened in a long time, but it has happened. I know that the drug I take, Cellcept, can cause swelling of the gums as a side effect. I don't know what exactly is going on, but it eventually goes away.

I've had a lot of root canals and crowns in the last two years, since I was diagnosed with diffuse systemic scleroderma. I had to get a special mouthwash from my dentist to settle down the swelling of my gums.

It's scary, isn't it? THe last thing we want on top of sclero is dental issues, but sadly it can be a part of it.

Smiles,
Jennifer, Maxx and Sadie

#4 susie54

susie54

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:11 AM

Hi Sadie,

I have mixed connective tissue disease with lupus and sclero. Three years ago I was having loose teeth on the bottom of my mouth. So I went to the periodonist and he said all your teeth are connected by connective tissue right under the root and YES it is affected by connective tissue disease. I had to pull mine and put a partial in. They didn't even have to yank them out . They just pulled slightly and they came out. I would get several opinions on this if you begin to have problems. It was one of the hardest decisions for me to go through. After all, these are your teeth! I am glad I made the decision to let them pull. He said they were going to slide all over the place and then I would loose them one by one. So I did it all at once and I have had the partail for a couple of years now and it's ok. No problems. Good luck . Susie54

#5 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:13 PM

Hi Sadie,
One of my fears with this disease is loosing my teeth. I am always so nervous that they are coming loose. Each time I go to the dentist he checks them to make sure they are normal and that I still have strong roots (through x-rays). So far so good, except for my top front tooth, but that is a whole story in itself. Hopefully you won't loose any teeth.

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#6 Pam

Pam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:38 AM

I do have loose teeth due to sclero. I have a small mouth anyway but the crowding of my teeth became a lot worse since the onset of the disease. One tooth became infected and there was one almost directly behind it so they both were pulled. There are two others that are slightly loose but he hopes they will last a year or more. He is fitting me with a temporary tooth that has a flexible type of bottom that will not irritate my gums. I'll be able to pop it out at night. Good luck with your teeth. Pam

#7 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:59 PM

Yes, I have loose teeth too. Sometimes more loose than other times.

I grit my teeth at cute things and once I had a little "Henry" attack (my 4 year old) and I gritted my teeth as I was squeezing him and one of my bottom teeth popped loose! It was scary. My dentist didn't seem too worried. So I haven't worried about it too much either - yet. I'm way past due for a visit! :(