Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Yeah I was finally approved for Social Security, does anyone know how to figure out how much my kids and spouse will get?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JustME

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

I was approved for SSDI at my hearing after applying 2 years ago. It went fast (they say) compared to most states. I live in California. Does anyone know how to figure out how much my kids and husband will receive? I read only that it is up to 50% of my benefits. So does this mean it could only be 5% or 25%. Is there a formula? My kids are 13 and 16. My 16 year old is permanently disabled. Thanks for any help:-)

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:09 AM

Hi AK,

Congratulations on getting disability benefits, however, also my deepest sympathies on being disabled enough to qualify for it.

That's a great question to ask your social security case worker. There is a disability benefits calculator at:

Basically, as I understand it, the spousal benefit is available at retirement time. Say you were a head of household with a spouse and a child. Then you became disabled at 40. If your spouse never worked, and so had no social security earnings (or less than you did), when they turned 62 they would be eligible for retirement benefits based upon your earnings. Of course, 62 is early retirement so if they actually took it then, it would be a permanently reduced rate.

There is a stipend for children of disabled people, up to age 18. As I understand it, that isn't very much at all but it is based upon a percentage of your total monthly amount, I think. The reason I say it probably isn't much is because I have heard of people just giving the stipend to their children for spending money. (Some others might suggest that since it isn't all that much, it should be put away in a fund for higher education.)

Anyway, please call your case worker so they can give you the exact figures for your situation. And please let us know if it is any different than this, for I have absolutely no training at all in disability planning or benefits!
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

Congratulations! I too am on disability. My husband still works so he doesn't get anything. My son gets enough to cover what he needs. I am not sure how they figure it out. I had taught school for 18 1/2 years and had part-time employment before that. Because I taught I get disability from the state also. It has been a blessing for us.
Take care,