Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Rice University Breakthrough Could Prevent Multiple Fibrotic Diseases.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sherrill_*

Guest_Sherrill_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:31 PM

Rice University breakthrough could prevent multiple fibrotic diseases.

A protein, which is called serum amyloid P (or SAP), has proven effective at preventing fibrotic disease from developing in the hearts and lungs of lab animals, and researchers hope it will eventually save thousands of lives once it is developed for human use. EurekAlert! 01/18/07. (Also see: Pulmonary Fibrosis, and Skin Fibrosis)

This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Check the Newsroom every day for the latest scleroderma medical and support information. http://www.sclero.org/news/a-to-z.html

#2 Guest_Jennifer_*

Guest_Jennifer_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:09 AM

What's everyone's thoughts on this new finding? Just curious.
Jennifer

#3 laurie906

laurie906

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:00 PM

Jennifer,

If I read this article correctly, I sounds promissing for initial diagnosis to inhibit or stop the additional collegan production. To stop sclero progression after diagnosis. But, I didn't see anything about reversing the damage.

Laurie
Laurie906

#4 Vee

Vee

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:47 AM

This news has set the other board that I use on fire!

Although it looks as though this will be best for the newbies to sclero, if us old timers can keep the damage that we have under control, then maybe at least when they do have something for us it will help that we don't get any worse, even if it doesn't reverse the damage.

I'm very excited!
Happy people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have!

Warm and Happy to you! Vee

#5 americanmike

americanmike

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:02 PM

It sounds elegant and promising. Gotta be better than taking the arsenic coctails of immunosuppressants right?

What is so frustrating is that it'll take them 3 years minimum to get this thing into real patients. :angry: Then another 3 years to follow up. Then they'll be able to phase III. Yippie!

I just hate beaurocracies.

But it looks promising doesn't it. It's amazing the research that's going. So many promising ideas, but such a slow process.

great article sherill

Michael in Florida