Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Question for you guys

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 piperpetpete

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:06 AM

I am still waiting on a diagnosis so I'm very new to all this. My question is this. Last Friday I started feeling kind of queasy. I t has gone off and on since then but seems to be a little better. No diarrhea but occasionally a cramping feeling and I go but it's a small amount, however I haven't eaten that much since then so there isn't much there! My stomach will start to growl as its hungry! and I'll eat something small and it will feel OK, then just off and on queasy feeling. Could it be just some bug? I'm swimming a lot at the gym but I would think the chlorine would get rid of any nasty bugs. Or do a lot of you have this type of GI stuff. Seems like maybe a bug but just thought I'd ask you guys.

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

Hi Piper,

I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling nauseous lately. It's very hard to say how scleroderma gastrointestinal problems begin, as it may be a bit different for everyone.

But, regardless of any symptom a person with or without scleroderma has, the issue needs to be evaluated first of all by a primary care doctor, always searching for the most common causes first of all. Only when all the usual culprits have been ruled out can anything be attributed to scleroderma (generally speaking; there are exceptions to every rule). So, I have scleroderma. But if I became nauseous I would *not* assume that it is due to scleroderma. I'd first suspect the usual things such as food poisoning or virus, and if it didn't clear up on its own in a few days, or if it got worse, I'd go to my primary care doctor.

Usually scleroderma g.i. involvement comes on very slowly and gets worse over the years before anything becomes obvious on tests. Many of us experienced common things like constipation or heartburn, or some slight difficulty swallowing. It was often quite awhile before we (and our doctors) realized it needed testing or treatment. But, everyone is different and the illness progresses differently in everyone, too.

I guess I'm trying a roundabout way of saying, it could be anything and if it keeps up or gets worse you'll need to see your doctor about it. Pregnancy, medication side effects, and food-borne illnesses are far more common causes of nausea than scleroderma, by any means, so scleroderma would probably be the last possible item on the list. Which is good for you, in some ways, as it may mean this symptom is temporary; but bad, if you are looking for a quick answer regarding a scleroderma diagnosis.

Win some, you lose some <sigh>.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

I just thought I'd let you know that I have the diffuse systemic sclero with 5 other autoimmune disease. I have a lot of nausea and I'm not able to eat much sometimes either. I got a prescription for compazine which thankfully helps me with the nausea. I don't know if this is a sclero thing or not but it is sure something that I suffer with a great deal.

Warm hugs,

#4 Kathy D

Kathy D

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:42 PM

Hi Piper,

I used to run public pools and it is pretty much impossible to catch a bug from the water. It is very possible to catch a bug from touching the door handle while leaving the facility though, or touching the banisters getting out of the pool, or even the key from the locker if you rented one or a sneeze from another in the showers if you use them............

I hope this is a short lived bug for you :)

Also take take a look at any meds that you have that you might need to take on a full tummy :)

Diffuse Scleroderma Diagnosed March 2009

#5 WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hi Piper~

So sorry about the GI issues. I have to say that that is one of the most disappointing feelings. I can endure pain and other things, but I totally understand that the queasy feeling tops them all somehow. I have recently tried a different med for that and had some success. I don't know why I have it, so I just treat it when necessary.

I agree that it is something to address with you GI doctor. He or she should take it seriously and help you as much as possible. Please let us know how you are doing.

#6 alice1

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:32 AM

I have lots of stomach problems too, not serious but uncomfortable. Right now I am having white foam, bubbles, tasteless. Does any one have this kind of problem?....alice