Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Vitamin D levels won't go up!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aka79

aka79

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:44 AM

Hello Everybody,

I am really confused. About 4 months ago I was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency, my level was 12 and the normal is between 32-100. I was put on 50,000 IU of Vitamin D weekly for 3 months. A month after I started the treatment we retested and my level went up to 26, so my doctor thought I was on good track. I finished the therapy a month ago and just retested, only to find that it came down to 16!!

I have an appointment at Johns Hopkins next month and will ask about this, but I am so confused. Anyone had a similar experience? My primary doctor seems confused as well and had my parathyroid checked, I will get results next week. Sun exposure is not the cause since I live in Florida.

I'm 29, positive SCL-70, no major symptoms or diagnosis of sclero. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's two weeks ago which is my only diagnosis so far, besides severe endometriosis which is believed to be autoimmune as well.

Thanks!!!!

#2 smac0719

smac0719

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

I also battle Vit D deficiency at least once a year. I was in the doctors office this week and no one mentioned my labs. I got a message today that I need to start on liquid Vit D because my level is too low. I missed the call so I don't know the level. I have seen other posts in the past regarding this subject and I remember this as being a common thing. I'm sure others will chime in.
I may have Scleroderma, but Scleroderma doesn't have me!

#3 Tonya-Georgia

Tonya-Georgia

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:38 AM

Hi,

I am 37, and have a Scl-70, slightly low C-3 complement, and have stomach issues sometimes.

I have no skin changes or diagnosis yet. I have had 2 positives Scl-70 about two years ago and since then 4 negatives for Scl-70. Which I have read it does not matter. I do have many autoimmune diseases in my family like diabetes, and other mild ones.

My calcium was low awhile back, but I have not had it checked lately. I am not sure if this helps you, but I have read that taking vitamin D with a meal can cause problems with the body's uptake.

Hope this helps.

Tonya

#4 shennen0820

shennen0820

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:26 PM

My vitamin D is also low. I was taking just vitamin d supplements for a few months and was retested and found to be low yet again. I was then told that I need to also take a calcium supplement as you need this to help absorb the vitamin D so I now take the vitamin D, a calcium pill with vitamin D and a multivitamin that also contains vitamin D every day! I hope next time it will be up! Plus I am very tan so I know I am getting what I can from the sun!
Shennen