Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

+ANA/CREST and hairloss

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Winter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:58 AM

Hello there -

I have had diffuse hairloss since having my son in Sept 2006. What I thought was postpartum HL finally led me down the path to finding I have a +ANA with the centromere pattern. I have esophageal dysmotility and had the Heller Myotomy in June 2008. Other than that and the HL, I have no other scleroderma symptoms.

I had a scalp biopsy done and it comes back as folliculitis decalvans, which is a scarring alopecia. My head/hair look nothing like the pictures that I see of this disorder (yet). I also know my ferritin had been very low and I am slowly getting it up over 70.

I just don't know if this hairloss could be related to the +ANA. The Dermatologist said no, but I thought scarring alopecia can be a part of scleroderma?

Thank you for any input!

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:01 PM

Hi Winter,

I may be wrong (I often am!) and I have no medical training at all. But here's how I think it works. The biopsy you had would/could/should tell if the alopecia is due to scleroderma or something else. And folliculitis decalvans would be a "something else". Therefore, it would not be caused by scleroderma. Apparently, folliculitis decalvans might be caused by a staph infection, which would make it quite different from scleroderma. And, possibly more treatable, too.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 Winter

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:56 AM

Thank you for your response! It's all so confusing. My dermatologist did give me a prescription for an antibiotic and a scalp treatment, so we'll see if it does me any good.