Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Another Test Over/ Egd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:27 PM

The doctor told my husband that there was no food left in my stomach and that the gastric emptying scan wasn't always accurate. He also told him that I had a lot of acid. Mine was abnormal. I did have a small amount of fundic fluid retention, hyperemia of distal esophagus, and patent LES. I tried looking all of that up and I found that fundis is a part of your stomach. I don't understand why I have fluid there. Hyperemia has something to do with presence of blood and I know that LES is lower esophageal sphincter. Of course, my watermelon stomach showed up too. He put me on Zelnorm and I am shaking all over. I don't know whether I am still weak from anesthesia or if I am reacting to medicine. I go see my GI in 4 weeks, but I might call him and ask him.
If anybody had major problems with their motility I would like to ask some questions, but I don't think I should bring it up here. It would be great if you could email me and I could ask you some questions.
Thanks,
Nan

#2 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:07 PM

Nan ,

So glad the endoscopy is over. Can't help you with your questions but you're in my thoughts. Hope you feel better tomorrow.
Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#3 janet905

janet905

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:59 PM

hi nan,
sounds like you had some good news along with the not so good.
it's good that your stomach was empty after fasting and your les was patent (doing it's job). this means it is staying "tight" and not letting food in the stomach flow back into the esophagus. sort of like a valve. sclero often affects smooth muscles in the gi tract and the les(lower esoghageal sphincter) is made up of smooth rather than striated muscle. this means it is not under voluntary control.
same as the rate of flow of food in the GI tract. the smooth muscles there have input from the central nervous system to keep things flowing in the right direction at the right pace. sclero patients often have problems related to slowed movement of the GI tract. the fundus just refers to the body of the stomach ( widest part) . the stomach sort of looks like a hobo bag turned sideways if this helps. the term hyperemia means redness (usually from dilated blood vessels which fits your diagnosis of watermelon stomach.) think of varicose veins on the inside of your stomach. they can bleed and cause blood loss anemia. hope this helps explain some things. the scoping will hopefully help the GI doctor to get some of the problems under control. I wish you luck in that department.
janet

#4 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:56 AM

Thanks, that helps a lot. The nurse that discharged me told me that my esophagus was letting acid flow back. That really confused me. It's good to know it's ok.
Nan

#5 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:58 AM

Andyko,
Thanks for your reply. I am going to email you to ask you something else. I hope that you don't mind.
Nan

#6 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:16 AM

Hi nan,
I am glad to hear the testing over for you. I have acid reflux which has now given me a diagnosis of Barrett's esophogus. My bowels are very slllloooowwww too. Please feel free to email me or send me a private message with any questions you may have. Let me know how you are feeling now. Are the shakes gone?

Hugs,
lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)