We have hosted chats three times a week in the Chat Room. Just click on “Chat” on the menu bar above and you'll be sure of a warm welcome!! The next hosted Chat will be on Friday.

Photo

Elbow swelling

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 erika

erika

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:01 AM

Dear all! I am not diagnosed yet (appointment at reumatologist end of February) but all my symptoms fit into Scleroderma picture. Shiny, pale fingertips, joints hurt, weak tendons, legs tingling (radiculopathy), cold sensitivity, poor circulation, dry eyes, mouth etc. I was wondering about one symptom which was my first strange problem in this story. It is the inner side of my elbow which has been swollen for almost 2 years.The skin is still soft, and possible to pinch and inside there is a conglomerat of firm small tissue like celulitis (not as hard as calcinosis I think). The swelling is sometimes softer and sometimes harder. First year it did not hurt but now it is spreading and the tissue around hurts. Ultrasound showed nothing. When I go to my appointment I will ask for the biopsy but in the meanwhile I just wanted to ask whether this fits into sclero picture. Does anybody have this? I understood that sclero swellings are difuse and did not realise if there is any content (stuff) in that swelling.

#2 bookworm

bookworm

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

Hi Erika,
I'm sorry about your elbow swelling. I haven't ever had swelling on the inside of my elbows, but I have horrible sore with swelling and drainage on the outside -- right on the elbow itself.

I've actually had this for several years, but it practically goes away at times, then it gets worse. I have been told by doctors that it is a calcium deposit, that it is bursitis, that it is not a calcium deposit, etc. Get the picture? I don't know what it is and no one seems to know what to do about it. I've been told that surgery would help and I have been told absolutely not to let anyone cut on it!

Sorry I couldn't be more help! Good luck with the rheumatologist in February! Have you seen your primary care doctor about this? I just wondered because you are really having to wait a long time to be seen by the rheumatologist! It seems serious enough that someone should see it sooner than that!

Mary in Texas

#3 erika

erika

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:36 PM

Dear Bookwarm MAry,

It sounds very familiar what you have told me. Two years ago when my elbow swelling started I went immediatelly to my general practice doctor and I was told this might be lymphom (how is this speeled?). I went to ultrasound and it showed nothing just muscle wider than the other. Since it did not hurt I forgot it then and only mentioned it to my reumatologist. She said it was bursitis (similar as you were told). My phisycal therapist said that it is not bursitis (wrong place on the inner side) and that it may be lypom (fatty tissue). She send me to the surgent and he said it could be lypom and he sent me again to ultrasound and citology punction. I went again to to ultrasound and they - guess what - found nothing of course. They said there is no point to do a citology punction since there is nothing inside. And then I went back to my physical therapist to get some physical therapy for the pain and she said that I should go to another hospital for citopunction. I feel like a fool on the merry go round.
My concern is that this elbow thing might be skin thickening from scleroderma. I dont know what the skin thickening on elbow looks like. The skin on my fingertips has started to change after a year being red, elbow is active with swelling and pain but no skin changes, no reddnes (yet?).

Best regards from Croatia
Jasna