Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Endoscopy results

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kaykay

kaykay

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:07 AM

I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy yesterday, clear of cancer and polyps. But (and I was groggy) he said I had esophageal dysmotility caused by my autoimmune condition. So, though my rheumatologist has me down for lupus, in the last write up it says "CREST suspicion" I think it could be mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) or CREST. So my question to you CREST sufferers is do you get mouth sores and scalp sores? Because that seems like the only symptom that isn't fitting with SSc (scleroderma).

Many thanks for your insight.

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:13 PM

Hi Kaykay,

I'm sorry you have esophageal dysmotility, but I'm glad in that it should help them narrow down your diagnosis a bit.

I get mouth and head sores, but I don't have "just" scleroderma, I have many other related autoimmune diseases, as well. So I can't say that it is, or isn't, related, from my personal experience.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:07 PM

I also had a Colonoscopy/Gastroscopy a few weeks ago, everything was normal, no cancer, gastritis cleared up, and also no polyps.

I asked my Gastroenterologist, about whether he could see whether there was any sign of slow motility. And, he said that an Endoscopy wouldn't be able to tell me that.

So, now I'm wondering, which doctor is right yours or mine :unsure: .

By the way, I have Limited/Crest scleroderma, I have the RE of crest and also chronic bowel/stomach problems.

Kind regards

Celia

#4 kaykay

kaykay

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:05 AM

Hi Celia -
you know when I saw him before the procedure he said we would do the swallow test later and it sounded like that is when he could tell if it were a motility issue, so I was surprised too. Like I said I was groggy, so maybe I am mistaken. He said that he could tell that my swollowing problems are caused by my autoimune disease so maybe he is judging it based on what the esphogeal muscles looked like. I will post more when I get his written report.

#5 kaykay

kaykay

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:53 AM

So I got a copy of the report, it says "probable dysmotility" and that further testing, (it names the tests, a swallow test etc) would be diagnostic but not yield treatment options. So I guess that means he's pretty sure of it but maybe his opinion is not just from the endoscope.

I really don't know where I stand with all of this to be honest but he doubled up my dose of proton pump inhibitor and I feel okay, I can eat, swallow, all no problem for now.

#6 Margaret

Margaret

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

Hi Kaykay ,

The last time my son had an endoscopy the Gastro doctor said he could tell there was "still esophageal dysmotility present." Perhaps, it has to do with the pressure they feel when scoping the esophagus/stomach or whether they notice any esophageal movement. I am not too sure myself but I do remember him saying it was still present. It is the only symptom he currently has concerning his diagnosis.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#7 erika

erika

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

It seems to me from what I read here on the forum that esophageal dysmotility can improve with time in most cases. Is that so? Or not?

#8 Margaret

Margaret

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

Hi Erika ,

When Gareth was first diagnosed, he constantly complained about his food getting stuck. His swallowing test showed dismotility in 2/3's of his esophagus. After being on Plaquenil for 2 months, he told me "it's working" and his food wasn't getting stuck. But, at his last endoscopy, the gastro doctor said he still had some dismotility in the lower portion. I would say, in his case, it did get better in that it doesn't bother him very much anymore.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#9 erika

erika

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:44 PM

Margaret, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it improves completely. :VeryHappy: