Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Scleroderma and bone marrow donor status

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 warmheart

warmheart

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

Hi all,

Something we all need to know (I didn't, and luckily no one lost precious time because of that)--with very few specific exceptions, people with autoimmune diseases are disqualified from being bone marrow donors. I'm not sure how I got approved to begin with. Fortunately I got a contact info update request from the donor registry very recently, just after I finally learned for a fact that I do have scleroderma and have had it for the past ten years. So I read the medical update info on the website and realized I'm disqualified from donating bone marrow. Sad, because I always hoped that some day I'd get the call and could help someone. But I'm glad it got straightened out in time, at least.

Hugs,

warmheart

P.S. Has anybody else noticed that the spell-check dictionary on this posting board doesn't recognize "scleroderma" as a word? Funny!

#2 enjoytheride

enjoytheride

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

Another thing I guess. I know how you feel. I donated blood for years but stopped when I started having weird symptoms and couldn't get explanations about them. I have an unusual blood type and would get calls to donate- made me feel bad to say no. Eventually they stopped calling.