Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Scleroderma and worker comp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cin

cin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

I have been having surgeries on my hands for years to remove the calcium ulcers. My last surgery was December 30, 2008 and Feb. 12, 2009, and I was terminated from my job because of my medical history. I have now been out of work for a year and three months with no recurring deposits on my hands . My job as a xray tech was dealing with radiations and different chemical pertaining to the job. My question is does anyone know if having scleroderma and working as a xray tech for 14 years where I get scatter radiation from patients and having to do flouroscopy in the O.R. is the reason for my reoccurence of the ulcer on my hands. If so this could be a workers compensation case. Is there anyone out there with some kind of study on this subject, radiation and its affects on xray technologist with scleroderma.

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:49 PM

Hi Cin,

I'm sorry you have scleroderma and that you lost your job due to health issues, last year. We have a section on our main site about Causes of Scleroderma: Radiation. However you'll find that's more about radiation treatments can cause things like Radiation Port Scleroderma. Not about how it can cause full blown scleroderma and nothing about how radiation causing calcium deposits. There is an article on that page from Hanford, you could read. To relate it directly to the recurrence of an ulcer on your hands, might be a stretch because many of us have finger ulcers or calcinosis but have not had workplace exposure to radiation.

Basically, I suppose you'd need to consult a scleroderma expert and ask them. Do I assume correctly that you are already on disability?
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 cin

cin

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

Hi Shelley,

Thanks for the input, and I will look at these articles. Yes, I'm on SSD and Long term for my former employer. They have to keep me on long term until the doctor releases me from his care. When he releases me I will lose the long term from my former employer.