Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Pins and needles in legs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 melanie08809

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

Does anyone else get pins and needles in their legs? I'm fine and then all the sudden I get these pins and needles out of nowhere. It only lasts a few minutes but it happens a few times a week. I also find that I am having some weakness in my arms if I try to do anything over my head. I hope you all can give me some feedback.

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

Hi Melanie,

There are dozens of different types, severity, and causes of neuropathy and weakness; some of them virtually meaningless and some that can be serious. When we're first diagnosed, most of us tend to be a bit more nervous and thus prone to anxiety, which can causes dozens of interesting (but harmless) symptoms. So that makes it even tougher to sort out "the wheat from the chaff" in the beginning.

Therefore, lots of us could be able to relate to these symptoms, but that would not necessarily mean anything at all in terms of whether it was due to scleroderma or other things. So it is something to note and, if it continues or worsens, to mention to your doctor at your next visit.

Here's hoping you feel a little better, soon! :emoticon-hug:
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 Snickerdoodle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:21 PM

You subject matter caught my eye. I don't know if this is scleroderma related, but I have sensations in my legs that are like pins and needles, and also like something crawling under my skin. The sensations come on more when I am anxious, or warmish, and beginning to sweat. In the legs it begins in the feet, and comes up just above the calves.....and continues that cycle over and over again. And in the arms, it begins in the hands and comes up to the elbows, in a continuing cycle.

Hope you get some answers from your doctor. So far mine just look at me when I share the information. LOL

#4 alice1

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:24 AM

I had pins and needles the first few years after getting this disease but it did go away.

I hope yours will too.

#5 Peggy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

When my disease first started I had tingling of my hands and feet like I hit my funny bone or they were asleep. From this it then progressed to where they went numb and the numbness has continued up to my knees. After that then it developed to where I had stabbing pain that would hit me in random spots on my arms and legs and felt like someone was stabbing me from the inside/out. From there then it has developed to where I have constant pain, especially in my thigh area. What I have is called peripheral neuropathy and alot of people with systemic scleroderma have this from what I understand. So I think what you are experiencing is a sclero issue. It's amazing how different this disease manifests itself and for me it seems to be ever-changing but then when I talk to others with the disease I find I'm not alone. If this continues and then progresses to where it goes to numbness then you should talk to your doctor and he may want you to see a neurologist, who takes care of this part of this type of issue.

Warm hugs,