Sclero Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Predictors of New Onsets of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and Fibromyalgia (FM): The Lifelines Study. The close relationship between IBS and FM is striking and requires further research. PubMed, Psychol Med, 2020 Jun 17;1-9. (Also see Fibromyalgia, Bowel Dysfunction and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.
  3. The International Scleroderma Network thanks Gilead for their sponsorship support. Posted 07/14/2020.
  4. Hi Inibini, I'm sorry to hear that you've been suffering with unpleasant symptoms in your fingers. I did experience similar symptoms of very swollen fingers in the beginning; however, once I started taking prednisolone my fingers improved and became a lot less swollen. (Not as good as it sounds, as I spent an absolute fortune having all my rings made larger, only to have to spend another fortune having them reduced again! ) Swollen fingers are certainly a symptom of scleroderma, but they can also be symptomatic of other health problems as well, so are by no means a conclusive diagnosis. Kind regards,
  5. Hi, I have after my 40ies developed problems with numbness of my hands, Raynauds and autoantibodies with centromeric pattern as well as some mostly mild problems with arthritis and tendinitis. Suspicion is systemic sclerosis, but too early for a diagnosis. I hardly have any skin involvement. And nail capillary microscopy was uncertain, vessels looked borderline normal. A year ago the numbness of my hands, which mainly happened during night or while riding a bike, reading a book - anything requiring elevation of my arms or flexing of my wrist - took a new course. Before it had been looking like carpal tunnel and also like problems you get if the nerves in the elbow are impinged, but after examination could not be proved to be anything like that. So I coped with it, waking up multiple times during night, shaking my hands alive. No more reading books holding it straight up from my body when lying on my back, etc. Last year instead my fingers started to feel swollen during night time and if I woke up they’d feel like sausages and in some cases hard to fold in mainly because of the swelling it seemed. The last few months the swelling has intensified and it can happen just while lying down for an hour during the day too. As soon as I get up for a while it goes away within minutes or within the hour, and I would never be able to show a doctor any proof of this phenomenon. During day my fingers looks perfectly normal except for two hard bumps on my right index, and an aching pain that comes and goes in that finger as well as my right ring finger. It is not any longer clearly resembling carpal tunnel in that there is no clear tingling sensation that may be eliminated by waving my arms and fingers to get the circulation going again. Now it’s still numbness, but with focus on the swelling as a mechanical phenomenon which goes away when my body is elevated. The same thing actually seems to happen to my toes. Does anyone recognize this? And would anyone be willing to share detailed story on how their fingers developed from the swollen phase to the phase where the skin is affected on the fingers? Did it happen fast or slowly, and what did the phases feel like? That would help me very much because as long as I do not have a diagnosis I’m ”on my own” with no doctor willing to meet me more often than once a year.. Thanks so much! Kind Regards ,
  6. Last week
  7. The Systemic Sclerosis Patient in the COVID-19 Era: The Challenging Crossroad Between Immunosuppression, Differential Diagnosis and Long-Term Psychological Distress. The rheumatologist in daily clinical practice should carefully differentiate the possible COVID-19 infection in order to optimize the patient management. PubMed, Clin Rheumatol, 2020 Jun 8;1-5. (Also see Correlation between Pulmonary Fibrosis and other Diseases or Complications) This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.
  8. A Low-Cost Steroid Shows Promise for Treating COVID-19. But Take the News With a Grain of Salt. Researchers looking into potential COVID-19 treatments are being hailed as a “groundbreaking development”— but recent history shows it’s worth taking these promising findings with a grain of salt. Time Healthland, 06/16/2020. This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.
  9. The International Scleroderma Network thanks Network for Good donors for their support! Posted 07/12/2020.
  10. Non-bladder Centric Interstitial cystitis (IC)/bladder Pain Syndrome (BPS) Phenotype Is Significantly Associated With Co-Occurring Endometriosis. This study characterizes features of a target IC/BPS phenotype that could potentially benefit from endometriosis and systemic pain syndrome screening. PubMed, Can J Urol, 2020 Jun;27(3):10257-10262. (Also see Interstitial Cystitis and Autoimmune Disease Directory) This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.
  11. Interleukin-32 in Systemic Sclerosis (SS), a Potential New Biomarker for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH) Our study suggested that sera determination of IL-32 may be a promising approach to evaluate the presence of PAH in SSc patients. PubMed, Arthritis Res Ther, 2020 Jun 1;22(1):127. (Also see Interleukins and Pulmonary Hypertension Diagnosis) This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.
  12. Would you like to help scientists find a cure for scleroderma? Dozens of clinical trials for scleroderma and pulmonary hypertension are actively recruiting now. Review them and be sure to ask your scleroderma expert about the ones you are interested in. (Also see Current Clinical Trials and Scleroderma Experts) Posted 07/09/2020.
  13. Americans Are the Unhappiest They Have Been in 50 Years: Poll. It’s been a rough year for the American psyche. Folks in the U.S. are more unhappy today than they’ve been in nearly 50 years. Time Healthland, 06/16/2020. (Also see Depression) This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.
  14. Sifting the Wheat From the Chaff? Evidence for the Existence of an Asymmetric Fibromyalgia Phenotype. Within the current FM criteria, there exist different phenotypes with clinical, psychophysics, and neurophysiological findings. PubMed, Eur J Pain, 06/13/2020. (Also see Fibromyalgia) This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.
  15. Did you know you can help raise scleroderma awareness? The nonprofit International Scleroderma Network offers scleroderma awareness bracelets! Bracelets for just $2.50 each with free shipping and handling! They say "scleroderma" on one side and "sclero.org" on the other. (Also see Get Scleroderma Awareness Bracelets) Posted 07/07/2020.
  16. Earlier
  17. Ultrasound (US) Detection of Calcinosis and Association With Ulnar Artery Occlusion in Patients With Systemic Sclerosis (SSc). US was sensitive and highly specific in detecting calcinosis in SSc. PubMed, Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken), 05/31/2020. (Also see Calcinosis) This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.
  18. Is THIS why diabetes sufferers are vulnerable to coronavirus? Scientists have discovered a pattern that may help explain why people with chronic diseases are at greater risk from coronavirus. Mail Online, 06/16/2020. This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.
  19. The International Scleroderma Network thanks United Therapeutics for their sponsorship support. Posted 07/06/2020.
  20. Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA): The Impact of Mental Health on Disease: A Narrative Review. It is important to determine the most appropriate tool to monitor mental health well-being and quality of life of RA patients in rheumatology outpatient clinics. PubMed, Rheumatol Ther, 06/13/2020. (Also see Symptoms and Complications of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression) This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.
  21. Development and Assessment of a Novel Lung Ultrasound (LUS) Interpretation Criteria for the Detection of Interstitial Lung Disease in Systemic Sclerosis (SSC-ILD). We developed a novel LUS examination technique and interpretation criteria that are highly sensitive and specific for SSc-ILD detection in an SSc cohort. PubMed, Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken), 05/31/2020. (Also see Pulmonary Fibrosis Diagnosis) This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.
  22. Shop at AmazonSmile and Amazon will make a donation to the nonprofit International Scleroderma Network. Posted 07/04/2020.
  23. UK's COVID-19 tracking system under fire amid warning of second spike. Britain’s system for tracing those with the novel coronavirus was under fire as it grappled with the development of a tracking app. Reuters Health, 05/21/2020. This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.
  24. Radioscapholunate arthrodesis versus radiolunate arthrodesis in rheumatoid wrist surgery: clinical and radiographic outcomes. Our results have shown that radiolunate arthrodesis remains a reliable surgical procedure for advanced rheumatoid wrist. PubMed, Hand Surg Rehabil, 04/22/2020. (Also see Treatments for Rheumatoid Arthritis) This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.
  25. The International Scleroderma Network thanks Actelion Pharmaceuticals US, Inc. for their sponsorship support. Posted 07/02/2020.
  26. Hi Nan, Welcome to these forums! I'm sorry to hear that you're suffering with morphea and have such unpleasant symptoms because of hives. As the symptoms have been diagnosed as a side effect of your medication and stopping it has not brought about any relief, I would suggest that you consult a listed scleroderma expert/dermatologist, in order that further investigations can be made and a complete treatment plan decided upon. Kind regards,
  27. Older age onset of systemic sclerosis (SSc) - accelerated disease progression in all disease subsets. In this large registry, 25% of patients developed SSc at an age above 60 years with an increased frequency of limited cutaneous systemic sclerosis. PubMed, Rheumatology (Oxford), 04/24/2020. (Also see Causes of Scleroderma) This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.
  28. I have this same thing. I have morphea then suddenly developed hives. I have had the hives since before holiday of 2019. I have had biopsies, they say it is a drug induced urticaria. I have stopped all supplements and drugs and still get no relief. I feel helpless.
  1. Load more activity