Jump to content
Sclero Forums


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Pinetree

  • Rank
  1. Hi, Things seem to be progressing smoothly this time round, although I keep obsessing about every little twinge and sensation and sort of dreading what I will see every time the dressing comes off for a change. But so far so good! I am now off painkillers for the first time in three months :) Coming off some of the stronger ones was quite an experience, I spent a full day in tears and another couple cranky as anything. I go back to work on Monday, after working from home today and tomorrow, my boss has been a real star in all this. Really looking forward to re engaging with life as I have been feeling as if I had dropped out of it. I went out today on a non-hospital related trip for the first time in three weeks, it was only to the shops but felt great. I agree that stress makes everything worse, and I am a born worrier, but my husband has been really supportive and a real rock, making sure I did not get carried away with stress and negativity. So, hopefully out of the woods, but not shouting it from the roof tops just yet. PS. I did have a try at posting some photos but did not manage to create a member album. Will try again soon. Cheers, Pinetree
  2. Hi, Helen, I wish my general practitioner had acted when I went to complain about a blue finger. At that stage I had no pain ánd probably an iloprost infusion would have saved my finger. I will not be making the mistake of accepting a flippant dismissal from any doctor in the future! Things took a turn for the worse last Thursday. I went for a wound inspection and a change of dressing, but as soon as the nurse removed the dressing it was clear she did not like what she saw. There was pus under the skin and necrotic tissue around the stitches. I was immediately admitted for IV antibiotic and had a second operation on Friday. The surgeon said it was not deep, so he had removed about two more millimetres. He only used one stitch to keep the edges together and left the wound to heal by secondary intention. I am back home now, on another course of oral antibiotics and feeling back to square one. I go back to hospital tomorrow for a wound inspection, but cannot feel very positive about it. We'll see. Pinetree
  3. Hi Amanda, Yes, my main concern now is that it actually heals and I can move on. I go this Thursday for a change of dressings and a wound inspection and I am feeling rather nervous about it, not least because it will be the first time I see exactly what is left. For the time being, I am staying put at home and keeping nice and warm in this really cold weather we are having. I was only going to take one week off work, but I have now decided to wait until the stitches are out, Thursday week from now. I do have some photos of the finger right before the amputation and I am perfectly happy to upload them. How do I do that? I could then post some more as the finger heals if that would be helpful. I would have certainly liked to have been able to get more first hand information on it but much as I looked in internet could not really find detailed stories of actual patients.
  4. So I had the amputation yesterday. Everything went well and I was very impressed by the professionality and compassion of the whole team. I was given the option of general or local anaesthetic and went for local, given that my body has already been subjected to a huge amount of different drugs in the past few weeks. I could feel the pulling and scraping but had no discomfort at all, and I was glad not to have to deal with the aftermath of a general on top of everything else. Came back home in the evening with my finger still numb and managed a full night sleep! The pain has hit this morning, and I have a dull pain even with pain killers. Not surprising really. It is a lot more manageable than the isquemic pain I had before. They are doing all the follow up, such as changing dressings and taking out stitches, at the hospital in order to keep a close eye on it and making sure the wound is healing properly. Thanks all for your good wishes and support. Pinetree
  5. Hi, Thanks so much for your kind replies. I will let you know how it goes on Thursday. Pinetree
  6. Hi, I am new here. Have been diagnosed with scleroderma for six years and lately my rheumatologist said there is a lupus overlap. I have fairly severe Raynaud's in my hands and feet, and sometimes even in my tongue! About two months ago my right index finger turned blue and failed to get back to normal. After a week or ten days of this I went to my general practitioner who said it was normal in my condition and as there was no infection he could not do anything about it. A few days later a black dot appeared in the tip of my finger and it became increasingly painful. The skin then broke and I ended up with a couple of dark spots plus a couple of pus filled pockets. Went back to general practitioner and he gave me antibiotics and nifedipine. No good. The finger got progressively more sore until the pain was unbearable. Back to general practitioner, and I got sent to the emergency department where they sliced my fingertip open and cleaned the pus. The pain got worse and worse, I was sent to plastics and back to the emergency department, and my finger all the time got harder and blacker. Finally, a plastics surgeon saw me and said the fingertip was necrotic for lack of blood supply and it needed removing. I spent last week having an Ilosprost infusion as a day case at hospital and this Thursday the surgeon is operating to remove all the necrotic tissue in my finger ( the whole of my fingertip, going up about half way under the nail). Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to know if anyone here has had a similar experience as I am petrified about the upcoming surgery and the possible pain of convalescence. Thanks in advance! Pinetree
  • Create New...